Dove recipes to share ??

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Braise in tomato sauce and serve over polenta.

Dandy

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I still eat them, just don't care to sit in the sun to shoot them. (September teal, on the other hand...)

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Hell yeah!!!!X10 with a jumbo wicker bottle of Castello Banfi Bell'Agio Chianti .:yes:tu

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

My Neighbors from the Old country Loved Doves so , (in years past) I would take them a pile of Cleaned birds . The recipe described above is the way
    they fixed them as the lady of the house would butcher each bird , taking the wings ,legs and backs in a separate pot of seasoned water cooking them until
    the meat fell off the bones , then sauteing the breast in butter ,olive oil ,fresh garlic and italian seasoning . Then the breast would be removed to rest and
    the small piece's of meat would be put into the tomato sauce for a short time , then brought out and mixed in the Polenta with the dove breast on top and
    the sauce poured over everything.......what a meal of Joy , past the wine as I miss them Both , RIP

bojingles and CADUCKWHACKER like this.
  5. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

That's how we did them growing up also . During the winter we would add Quail , and rabbits with the doves if we had any left to the Sogo/ sauce/gravy (depending what part of Italy you were from) . The only difference is that we would braise the birds whole and do the same with the rabbit ( but broken down) and cook them in the Sogo for hours and you can't forget the red wine in the sugo either . Once the sugo was done we would put it over soft polenta and enjoy :tu

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Another recipe we have always enjoyed is Dove or Quail cooked in a casserole dish of rice with Cream of Mushroom soup .
    The birds are picked , cleaned and brazed in Butter and Garlic to a golden brown , then put in the casserole dish on a bed of rice with the Cream of Mushroom
    soup poured over with enough water to cook the rice , covered with foil !

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Growing up, Dad having lived through the depression, we would pick the doves just like a pheasant and clean accordingly, if my dad knew I just breasted doves now, it would probably put him in his grave. Mom would brown the doves after dipping in flower and some seasonings, then brown the doves and put in a casserole dish and put in mixture of broth including remnants from fry pan so doves were covered, cook for around 30 minutes and then serve them over rice. Meat would just fall off the dove carcass.

CADUCKWHACKER likes this.
  8. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

Interesting I have always picked my birds doves included. Just the way I was raised, seems such a waste to breast them out. I eat everything on the dove including the legs. I feel if the animal / bird that I am fortunate enough to take then I will use it to the best of my ability to feed my family.

Brottboss, ricer man and double limit like this.
  9. DuckSLu7

DuckSLu7 Senior Refuge Member

Cry me the truckee river

10. Drifly

Drifly Senior Refuge Member

Pluck them and keep them whole. Dredge in seasoned flower and brown in a cast iron pan. Cover with rice and water and bring to a boil . Turn off stove and let the rice cook about 40 minutes. Make a good gravy and serve over dove and rice....

Some of the rice comes out crunchy from the left over grease from browning them. One of my favorite ways to eat them... Now I need to go find some to shoot.

Dryfly