DOVE SHELL GIMMICK ?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Aug 23, 2017.

1. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

Im getting ready for dove season since it opens next Friday here in Wisconsin, and I see that Hevi-shot makes "hevi-dove" shells. Maybe im just a dumb farm boy because I have always just used target load and have done pretty well. Has anyone used this before or what are your opinions on these shells or what do you use as far as ammo for dove. Wasn't sure if there was something special about these or if its just a gimmick

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

IMO, as with steel shot also, if the birds are in range, why buy expensive shells.

3. Oltimer

Oltimer New Member

Here in Missouri, we are required to use non toxic ammo on certain public areas. I use steel 7 1/2s in those cases. If I was going to use a gun that is not recommended for steel I would consider it, depending on the price. I could see spending some $ on shells the way I shoot.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

The doves they shoot out in the Pacific northwest get up to 20lbs. They need special loads.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

100% gimmick. Any junk lead shell with 7.5's or 8's will crush doves out to 35-40 yards and steel game and target 6's crush them to 35 yards easily. It's just a way to try to sell a $5 box of shells for $8.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

It's just a lead shotgun shell. I assume they are a quality product, but I've never shot them. You can look at the specs and probably match a number of "target" or "game" loads to them cheaper.

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

This^^^
    I have always liked 1oz 20 ga loads and on the rare occasions that I shoot a 12, 1 1/8oz loads. Always seem to prefer 7 1/2's over 8's.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Guess the question really should be in regard to the components. If they compare to the high-end target loads, think AA and such, then they're priced low. If they are more like the promotional loads, they're just a little on the high side. Most promotional stuff I'm seeing now is anywhere from $5-$7 per box, and the Hevi is $7.99 according to Bass Pro.

Worth noting, the high-end target loads really are superior, but it's up to the individual if they think 2-3 birds per hundred shells is worth the price difference.

Vahunter likes this.
  9. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

That is the national average, but I find it hard to believe with what I personally experience.
    Maybe the guys I hunt with, and around are an exception to the rule.
    The guy in the fly zone just down from me always seems to be an Olympic shooter. Especially on slow days.

10. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Shoot what ever is cheap. Doves are easy to knock down. They are as thin skinned as some these snowflakes in the news.