DOVE SHELL GIMMICK ?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Johnbjr

Johnbjr New Member

The pigeon was 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 . RST still makes the 3 1/4 remington and winchester they make 3 3/4.

2. Johnbjr

Johnbjr New Member

Winchester made in AA SUPER PIGEON.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Your speaking of 100 fps difference between the two, the extra velocity won't hurt.

4. Johnbjr

Johnbjr New Member

Difference is powder, primers, wads and hardness of shot, not 100 fps.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If those components different they are most likely cheaper and lower quality than the high brass game and express XLR.

6. Johnbjr

Johnbjr New Member

I am 63 years of age and have completed I both box and Columbaire pigeon shoots. With this on the line, you could not afford to miss due to pattern failures. We had to shoot the best available patterns or we could not afford to shoot. High brass or even speed does not mean consistent patterns. Quality components with correct speed shows up in the winners circle.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I really can't help you there as I don't use factory ammo so I use the best components I feel like using. I don't worry about competition shooting as I only hunt, if I'm shooting 1 1/4 oz loads these days I shoot 1440 fps Longshot loads with high antimony shot. I can get killing patterns from these loads out to 60 yards which is more than enough for Pheasants or knocking Crows off.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Like 10GAGENUT I only hunt but I put patterns on paper to find the proper tube/ammo combination. It may be harder to get the right combination for higher velocity ammo but it can be done with a little effort. IMO almost all ammo is sold by over hyped marketing and 90% of the time that marketing hype just puts confidence in a shooters head so they think it is better when the differences in performance are minimal. I know it's the case with steel ammo for a fact. The real difference comes when you roll your own.

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Johnbjr is on the money in regards to true pigeon loads. The real ones are very much premium shells. They're also expensive and somewhat difficult to find these days. Hundreds of thousands of dollars can be riding on a single pigeon.

All that said, they are way overkill for doves. I wouldn't consider them.

10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I've got the better part of a case of the AA Super Pigeons, 3 1/4dr 1 1/4oz copperplated 7 1/2s. Bought them at least 15 years ago mixed in with some cases of AA target loads on a good sale. I've never really come up with a good use for them. I wish I could shoot them at early season ducks. I think I shot a couple boxes on a windy day winter dove shoot years ago and possibly gave some to my nephew for shooting squirrels.