Drake/hen ratio?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Meach, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Meach

Meach Senior Refuge Member

All the puddle duck decoys we have bought lately come 8 drakes to 4 hens. We are going to cut back to 8 drakes to 2 hens. I think we will have the same amount of attraction with fewer decoys. Do you do something similar or don't think it matters?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

In open water, it does not matter. Hens have evolved to not be seen, safer on nests. So, is a weedy pothole, more drakes.

Mostly, it does not matter.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

I l ike a more balanced spread but I am pretty weird, we seem to see a lot more hens where I hunt.I might be interested in buying a few of your hens

Ringbill likes this.
  4. Meach

Thanks for the offer but for some reason we have dozens of decoys that we don't use anymore.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I use a minimum of 8 drakes to 4 hens and many times I run all drake spreads. We're are hunting ducks with a brain the size of a peanut, not humans with the ability to reason. Added color = increased visibility which offers an advantage when hunting near others with darker spreads. As Native said, it doesn't matter on open water. In fact I believe darker decoys work better on open water and I have used solid color dark brown and black decoys.

6. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

I prefer exactly 24/11

Tuleman likes this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

When you see ducks on the water at a distance, they all look "black". Unless they are canvasbacks, you cannot tell the hens from the drakes. If ducks see things the way we do, then decoy paint doesn't matter (see NV Ducker's post).
    If ducks DON'T see things the way we do, then it still doesn't matter.

What does seem to matter is numbers. Don't try to over-think these things. Be in the right spot, stay hidden, shoot well. That's all there is to it.

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

I have many, many, decoys. I believe hens are good. I usually run a 50/50 split. I believe the decoy manufacturer packages the dozen decoys, 8 drakes to 4 hens to decoy in the buyer. The drakes are more visible, however I try to keep my spread realistic. I use other decoys for visibility like floater goose decoys, or full body geese on the shore. Decoy deployment is an art. I set up some awesome, very realistic looking spreads!

9. Meach

Interesting thoughts. I am just thinking about getting the same visibility/attraction with less work. i know one well known hunter/caller who sometimes runs all drake mallards. I don't know about the ducks but i can certainly see a drake mallard better at 200 yds than a hen.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Do you hunt open water, sheet water in fields or do you hunt marshes and timber holes?