Drake/hen ratio?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Meach, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I like a few more drakes, but not a fan of the 8/4
    I like Dakota's offering of 7/5----right on IMO.
    Some offer ONLY drakes! Good thing I'm a decoy painter----I've painted a lot of new drake decoys into hens,
    to get my own ratio.

Ringbill

Tuleman likes this.
  2. Meach

Meach Senior Refuge Member

i hunt flooded rice/bean fields.

3. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

It also depends on where and when you are hunting. In Canada there are a lot more hens and eclipse drakes in the flocks the first month of the season. So we actually use more hens than drakes then.

Ringbill likes this.
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

In that situation I would almost skip realistic hens and go with bright drakes and dark brown hens.

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Guys who use all drakes kill ducks. Guys who use various splits kill ducks. It pretty much boils down to personal preference. I doubt in the long run it matters much. :tu

Billy Bob and Rubberhead like this.
  6. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I hunt out of a small boat and use mostly Herter's 72s so every decoy is important. 30 decoys is about normal, 36 is about the maximum.

I usually load up on drakes when I'm hunting in vegetation. In open water and under certain light and water conditions, I think a brown hen might stand out as much or more than a black-and-white drake so I run additional hens but I'm seldom anywhere near 50/50%. I run mostly drakes.

There are several market gunners that rigged mostly hens.

All that to say, "I agree with Mean Gene".

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I must be sick, I have agreed with both you and Ravenanme today :z :l

8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Used primarily drake ringers for a long time. I started experimenting using more hen decoys and I consequently began to bag more drake ringers. I've downsized now for the last seven years because smaller is better, at least where I hunt. I will amend that last statement that although I use less decoys, I have gone to mostly magnum ones. More hen/brown seems to equate with more draw and more kills, whether they be ringers, mottleds, teal, or woodies. When and where is a big factor and what you see. Have put away black coot decoys because they are not here but are on the big lake.

9. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

Normally I am a fan of more drakes than hens for the visibility which I increase with super mag sizes and lighter colors on my drake mallards. I hunt highly pressured public lakes and I try to be different. But late in the year last season when all we had to shoot was very stale birds I changed up and only set 6 mallard dekes, 1 drake & 5 hens. I mostly hunt pot holes off of main lake so attracting birds from a long distance was not the goal, it was getting hard hunted birds to finish. Most of our birds were singles, pairs or very small groups so I just tried to look realistic plus I felt pretty sure there was not another spread on the lake that looked like mine. Worked out pretty well.

Ringbill likes this.
  10. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

No, it's not you. I've been trying to be more inclusive in my comments. Thanks for noticing. :)