Drive belt troubles

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Ringbill, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I bought a Mudbuddy 23 hp mini-lite Shorttail 2 years ago, & have really liked it.
    Much easier for me to operate, can be seated & great for working a decoy rig.

I've hit my share of deadheads though & this year, with our mini-drought & low water levels,
    there's been a multitude of deadhead hits when I've been scouting & training my lab. Well, the drive belt actually broke. Just had the dealer replace it, & good to go for our duck opener, September 23---just a month away now. Costly repair, too.

Ringbill

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Glad to hear you are back in business! Hoping to intercept a bwt and/or woodie myself! Took a while to dial in my Backwater swomp motor, but it is easier to run than my previous LT's, and love the easy starting EFI! We have gone from little water to too much. Hail the ringers for me!

3. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Might check belt tension after a few hrs. run time. May need a bit more adjustment after it breaks in. Also I would check tension every 50 hrs. or so. Seems loose belts break easier than tight ones.

Ringbill likes this.
  4. Ringbill

That's good info to know----I know nothing about this drive train. Knowing that, I'm sure that new belt wore in & got slack as I hit deadheads thru out these first 2 seasons. I'll try to be more proactive with it now. It shouldn't be that hard to check & adjust.

Ringbill

5. Olefart

Normal yearly service routine, I do before the season is Change oil and filter, check and adjust valves, check torque on crankcase bolts, grease prop shaft drive tube, check throttle cable for slack and frays, check muffler gaskets and torque on flange bolts, and check belt tension. Don't care to be left stranded on river when no ones out there to give me a tow. I also carry a complete tool kit and a few extra parts. including a spare drive belt and starter motor, switches, relays and fuses.

6. Ringbill

Well that surely makes sense & I'll have to do more. I've been use to longtails----Beavertails, which have served me well for over a decade. This new shorttail Mudbuddy is all new. What exactly do you have, Olfart?
    I don't think that there is any way to change out a Mudbuddy drive belt in the marsh. The dealer said it was a full 2 hour + job on dry land, where a person can actually get at things.

Ringbill

7. Olefart

I have enough tools in my kit to do almost any repair needed when on the river, and have done 100_0070.JPG 100_0059.JPG a drive belt. Been building and working on surface drives since 2003. Done about everything possible on them. Had one I had to remove bent push rods from head in order to run motor good enough to go 5 miles back to landing. Didn't run to bad on one cylinder. I run a MB 45 BD and the our other one we have is a MB 7000. Both are modified with our personal mods.

8. Ringbill

Wow---Yur light years ahead of me----I know nothing. You are a real true blue mechanic !
    I did call Mudbuddy, & talked with Mikka, explaining What I had happen etc.
    He said that the belt shouldn't break after 2 years of moderate use.
    Went on the say that smacking multiple dead heads, caused the belt to slacken & come out of adjustment.
    This has been constantly happening over 2 years & since I've never know that the belt needs to be adjusted,
    it finally caught up with it & lunched the belt.
    I'll know now, that I need somebody to adjust that belt on occasion, unless I can figure out how to set it myself.

Ringbill

9. BD7000

BD7000 Senior Refuge Member

OleFart I love the name Did Mud Buddy do your upgrades for you, I had a 7000 also and loved the power but hated the icing issues with the carbs. Another guy has a rain guard and has no problems with icing. Do you have the same problem? I have the Mako EFI now and that motor rips. I would say the 7000 has alittle better low end than the Mako (due to the carb) but the top end is way better

10. Olefart

Never had a problem with carbs Icing, had throttle cables freeze up on a couple occasions, fixed that with a gob of grease on cable ends. We do our own up grades carb tunning, head and porting work. Also exhaust flange and muffler modifying. We also install studs in block at crankcase cover and use Nyloc nuts on them. Also fooled with different props and gearing for different boat,load combinations. My first Mudmotor was a 2003 Hyperdrive MudBuddy 18Hp. After first year I modified the frame and installed a moded 35 Hp VanGuard on it. Its still running. I got my handle because I'm 70 yrs old, and run with a bunch of 40 yr. old kids.

BD7000 likes this.