Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Drive On boat dock

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by swamp wader, Jan 11, 2019.

1. swamp wader

swamp wader Senior Refuge Member

Has anyone ever built one?

20 or so years ago on the Ouachita river I fished with my uncle and a friend of his that had a house boat there with one of these home made contraptions attached to it. It was basically shaped like a wedge at the correct angle to where you could easily slide your flat bottom boat up on with just a little twist of the throttle. It also had some kinda cloth/fabric on it that the hull would slide on pretty easy. It was easy to shove the boat back off it also.. Not sure what was floating it underneath.

I would like to build one of these things for my place on the lake. Any ideas ? The fabric? The correct angle? Anyone got any pics?

I have looked at alot of google pics but all I see are the store bought ones..

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I've seen Jr. Bunch slide a boat up on a floating dock at Reelfoot. It was just a low floating dock. You might try some of the glide strips or slick bottom stuff on both the boat and dock materiel.

I also see Sea Dos or jet skis done that way on special plastic docks built for it.

3. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

4. swamp wader

swamp wader Senior Refuge Member

Yeah I’ve seen those .. they are nice. Was wanting to build something similar

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

These look nice, but expen$ive. The Redneck in me would set a plan to go scouting around right after a storm and look for things. My waterman buddie used to go out when the storms are winding down and look around the marshes for stuff. He found so many floating docks over the years that he had them on 2 sides of his houseboat that he used a his wateman’s gear and living and hunting shack. Piled crab and eel traps on them during the seasons. He also fould numerous plastic chairs and tables as well as a few kayaks that blew off people’s docks, folks that have more money than sense when it comes to leaving stuff on docks with storms coming in and unsecured. So, the Redneck method would be to go scout a floating dock after a storm and if need be, remove some of the floatation at one end and run your jonboat up on rollers or plastic covered bunk boards.

Fowler267 likes this.