Driving a dog sqyuirrely hunting sharpies

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by 2 tollers, Sep 27, 2011.

1. 2 tollers

2 tollers Senior Refuge Member

A few weeks back we went out to the Military base for our annual first of the season sharptail hunt. It was quite hot and the birds are just recovering from two tough winters in a row. We did ok managing 3 birds a day (5 bird limit per day) which was way above the avg of .8 bird per day per hunter.

The story is Monday my female toller the White Faced Witch (WFW) went competely squirrely. There were two distinct hatches of birds. The first hatch has juv's close to adult size. The late hatch are pigeon sized and can run / fly a bit / run. Well we ran into a covey of these and she starting to chase one down and when it went into cover about 60 yds out another covey broke loose and there were birds running everywhere. Must have been 20 different birds breaking out across the prairie. At this point she just lost her little doggie brain (what there is of it at times) and the bird chase was on all over for about 10 minutes straight in the heat. There was not one piece of cover in a 100 yd circle that she did not go through trying to catch one. The whistle did not work. Hind sight if I would have fired a shot that might have got her attention.

When I finally got her settled down we moved onto another area looking for adults. Just when you think with a mature dog you have seen it all out pops a new one.

2. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

We had an old setter female that we had retired from field trials. She was 8 or 9 and we decided to just hunt her a few years. We were hunting a river bottom field and she came up on a pod of woodcock. Never seen so many in one place. She was flash pointing, busting and running like a pup. We didn't get a single one of them. My grandpa just smiled and patted her on the head and off we went. She just needed to get that out of her system I guess.:l