Driving Anchorage to Soldotna

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by mtduck, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mtduck

mtduck Senior Refuge Member

Howdy all.....

If ever in Montana, please let me know...happy to return the favor.

I will be driving from Anchorage to Soldotna the second week in October.

Is there any local advice on things to see on the route? Good place for food? Good fly, tackle, shooting shop? Museums, historical sites?

Not sure what to expect. I don't know if I shoud just plan on doing the drive in three hours or a day.

I will have a shot gun with me.....is there any place to stop and take a ptarmagin hike (PM me this....please don't post public).

Thanks in advance...any advice is welcome!

2. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

Lots of beautiful scenic country on that drive. Watch the cliffs above the road while driving along Turnigan Arm. There are plenty of Dahl sheep on those mountains. Sometimes high up and other times you have to swerve to avoid them on the road. Should see plenty of moose that whole trip. Coyotes frequent the roadsides as do the ducks. They'll be heavy in the little ponds and river drainages along the road if they haven't already been shot up by then. Brown and black bears can be seen along that route too. Once you turn off the Seward Hwy and start following along the Kenai River you'll see signs referencing goat hunting on the mountains along the road. I never saw one there but obviously they must be up there somewhere!

Girdwood is the ski resort about 45min south of Anchorage. Obviously it won't be open in October but it's a beautiful area to check out and there is a great restaurant there.

If you've never been there, then I would guess that Whittier might be a novelty to visit. You have to drive through a one lane road that is shared with a train for two miles of tunnel to get in and out of there. The fudge shop near the harbor is terrific!

You'll pass Portage Glacier before you get to the tunnel. There are usually icebergs floating in the lake there to take pictures of.

There is the Alaska wild animal preserve (not sure of exact name) located right across from where you would turn off the Seward Hwy to go to Whittier. I've never been in there but if you want some up close pics of Alaskan wildlife in a controlled environment then this is the place for you! I've seen many great pictures from inside that place.

Once you turn off the Seward Hwy I don't remember anything being real epic other than the scenery. It can't be captured by words or pictures. Everything is picture worthy and just the sites are worth the trip from the lower 48.

In Soldotna there is a hardware store that will have everything you need and can imagine for fishing and hunting! If they don't have it then the Fred Myer probably does. Don't forget to hit up Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage, Wild West Guns, Great Northern Guns, and it's even worth the drive up to Eagle River to hit Boondocks! That Place was always a must when I made shopping trips to Anchorage from Cordova!!

Most of all just make sure you pack a good camera with lots of batteries and memory cards, enjoy your trip to the fullest no matter what happens, and post lots of pics when you get back for those of us that have lost our way and can't seem to get back up there quick enough!!!

3. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

By October all the toursity places will be closed. The museum in Hope would be pretty cool if it was open past September. Lots of mining related materials. In and of itself Hope would be a cool place to drive into and have lunch at the Cafe.

There is a museum in Cooper Landing, but I have never stopped to check it out.

The ptarmigan hunting along the highway is not a secrete. However, it can be really hard hiking for only a small reward. Check out the Johnson Pass hiking trail. Once you are up out of the brush you will be in alpine tundra and there might be some birds around in the willows trying for the last of the berries. However, in October there also might be a couple feet of snow in that area and without the right gear it would not be safe to travel off the road.

Once you are near Skilak lake along the Kenai you are in a large no firearm hunting zone so no matter what critter you see along the road, don't shoot it. It might not be a real critter anyway and the brown shirts will be watching you from a distance. Don't want to ruin your trip by loosing your shotty to the State.

4. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

Does "no firearm hunting zone" mean you cannot take a firearm with you for protection?