Drop-away or whisker biscuit

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Green is Gold, Jun 4, 2008.

1. RW

RW Elite Refuge Member

Because the WB is more forgiving/easily/faster repaired if damaged. Also no strings to catch on limbs and such. Accuracy is plenty good with my WB setup for hunting 3 quick kills last fall + one turkey so no problem w/accuracy here. No worry about arrow falling and spooking critters.
    Yea someone mentioned freezing rain, but that would effect a drop-away as well. Besides that would be a rare exception but can be dealt with in either case. As for fletching it doesn't matter what you shoot,fletching will somehow get damaged with either setup. So far the WB on my bow has not been the cause.

It does appear the drop away-may be a little more accurate, but that margin would probably be more helpful in 3D target competition vs hunting because a 1/8" or so could mean the difference between a 10 or a 12. When your that close in hunting it does not make a difference, it's still a kill shot.

Since the accuracy is very good with the WB
    I opt for simplicity and ease of repair and use.

2. alabama cheesehead

alabama cheesehead Elite Refuge Member

whisket biscuit. doesn't effect arrow flight absoulutely no sound. and if you have to twirrley the damg bow to get into position for a shot that arrow isn't going anywhere. remember things with moving parts break far easier then unmovable fixed parts.

3. nra4evr56

nra4evr56 Elite Refuge Member

Freezing rain?By the time we get freezing rain around here I'm done bow hunting and out on the water duckhunting.

4. KWAK

KWAK Refuge Member

If you are doing minimal shooting, a WB isn't bad; but I'd much prefer the drop away. I've shot both and am far happier with the performance of the drop away, more from the maintenance side of things with my fletching than anything else. I also noticed a difference in grouping performance out at 30 yards and beyond if you plan to do any shooting that far out. Not many people shoot that far.

From my experience, I'll not have another WB on my bows, nor in my equipment box.

5. goosehunter2118

goosehunter2118 Elite Refuge Member

I greatly concur. Drop aways are great and all, but for hutning, no moving parts is a must have for hunting. It's of most importance to keep everything as simple and durable as possible in hunting situations. I don't know about you, but I beat the crap out of my stuff. I don't have time to baby things as I am walking through the woods trying to get to a stand or stalking something. If I bump my rest on a tree, fall on some rocks, whatever, I don't want to have to worry if the stupid thing will work next time I draw.

Ruff, search "WB 136 (or something close to that) yards" on youtube. Guy puts 3 arrows in a 6" plate at 136 yards with a WB. The accuracy theory is nothing more than BS. Funny thing is one of the guys I shoot with always says, "I don't like a WB because it makes contact with the vanes." The funny part was when his drop away failed him (the tension spring broke) half way through a 3-D shoot and he had to watch us finish the rest of the shoot. As someone else said, k.i.s.s. Also known as keep it simple stupid. I want nothing to fail me when I am in the field drawing back on a monster buck. Just my opinion. Retro and I fight over this a lot.:l

6. goosehunter2118

goosehunter2118 Elite Refuge Member

True, but some here are also hardcore bowhunters...:tu

7. peewee

peewee Elite Refuge Member

I love my wbs. As far as accuracy I can shoot very well out to 50 yards. I believe the theory about accuracy and wbs is bs. I have had no problem killing deer with my wbs and I wouldn't change a thing for hunting.

8. cwa1104sab

cwa1104sab Elite Refuge Member

You meant to say MORE accurate rest for hunting...right??!!:clap

WB all the way. shooting it for 3 years now and never an issue, btw I do hunt in all weather, snow, rain, freezing rain, sun, etc hell this is NY man we do it all!!

9. Dusty05

Dusty05 Senior Refuge Member

I am still using the same WB I have had for probably 4 years. I have it on my switchback now. I want to try a drop away but I haven't b/c I have not had any issues with accuracy or arrow damage from shooting alot of arrows through it. I am afraid to try to fix something on my set up that isn't broke. I can't speak for extreme long range b/c I only seriously shoot to about 40 yards so I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make on my set up that far out.

10. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

The friends that I shoot with say they notice a decline in accuracy after about 45yds. I don't feel that I am a better shooter than them, but since I have switched to a drop away, I have been torching them at longer distances. Last week I was averaging 4" groups at 80yds.....they were averaging 10-12