Drop-Away Rests

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Duck Hunter Paul, Dec 20, 2006.

1. ghak99

ghak99 Elite Refuge Member

Mind if I ask why you think this?

2. goosehunter2118

goosehunter2118 Elite Refuge Member

Not at all. Picture this. It is mid-rut, you rattle in a B&C buck, but he is comin in fast so you draw fast. The arrow pops off the dropaway and you will curse the thing for the rest of your life. Or you draw fast with a WB and not have any problems and you might lose a 1" of accuracy at 30 yards, but so what. To take the chance for HUNTING is silly to me. Again, on a target bow, i'd have a trap door on one. How much accuracy are you really gonna gain with a drop away in all seriousness? Not much. Just my opinion.

3. ghak99

ghak99 Elite Refuge Member

I understand what your saying, but I never got along with the WB. I have had much better luck tuning with the drop aways. I have yet to have a arrow pop at the wrong time, but know some guys who have. Then again I refuse to shoot a bow with a violent wall.;) Might of been a mental thing, but my accuracy went way up after getting away from the WB, I also got a 15fps speed increase and a quieter bow.

It's pretty much all personal preference.:tu

4. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

Man you really knock people if they don't shoot or use the same stuff you do..Be helpful not insulting..:fp This is all a preference..Give suggestions on why you use what you use not insult what others use...I don't use a WB very pleased with the Drop Zone, but I love a Bodoodle...I work in a archery shop people come in and ask for this and that..I would never sau man you stupid for wanting to use that etc..If your not gonna be positive keep it to yourself..

5. goosehunter2118

:l :l
    This is the perfect example of why say IMO (IN MY OPINION) so much. I said silly, not stupid. Sorry if that is a problem for you. I meant nothing by it. And what else do I "knock" on? I have to call you on this. I don't say if you don't shoot a hoyt or shoot gold tips or muzzy's or blah blah blah, you are stupid. I said silly because why in the world would you take that risk? I am just saying, even if the arrow pops of 1 in 1,000 times, that is too much (for hunting). In fact, I would use a dropaway (said this twice already) if i was shooting spots or 3-d when I am certain I can let down and not have the deer bolt off. If you feel 100% positive that you will not have the arrow pop off when a monster is broadside at 10 yards or have the rest fail, go for it. I hunt in conditions from 80 degrees to -20 and from heavy rain to wind and snow. WB works me for. One less thing to worry about. I honestly could care less what you use.

"It's pretty much all personal preference."
    True dat. This is a nonsense war compared to the old reloading wars we would have. Those were the good old days. I am done for now. Jay's comin on and I need another laugh. Get out the bows boys. Turkey season is right around the corner.:tu

6. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

i went to a muzzy drop away 2 years ago and love it to death! never had arrow issues or problems with them "poping off" its much easier for me to tune and i am confident with it and thats 90% of the shot in my mind.

i have never used a wb but i shoot feathers but if it works for you its a great addition. i however will never stray from a drop away(btw i need all the help i can get and tight groups are important to me)

7. Duck Hunter Paul

Duck Hunter Paul Refuge Member

Check out the Kaz Away from Vital BowGear. It has a system that holds the arrow in place and keeps it very still. I don't see where it can pop off. And you don't have to be worried about what fletching you shoot like you do with a WB.
    You pick up speed and accuracy with this style of rest. (IMO):l

8. thejohnchapman

thejohnchapman Senior Refuge Member

"any drop away is pointless for hunting"

Why?

I spent the very early part of my bowhunting career trying to get the "skinny" Beman shafts to get good arrow flight. I then proceeded to kill about 20 deer in a row with no failures, little noise, and several over 30 yard shots that hit within an inch of where I wanted on live deer.

Maybe if one is shooting aluminum or fat carbon, it makes no difference. More power to you, in that event. However, they seem to have made a difference to me, with no downside. Moreover, I can really wind the helical if I want, and I can orient the vanes pretty much any way I want. I stopped gluing on my nocks, since exact positioning is now needless, and I just tape 'em on. If I break a nock, I just tape on another.

I guess I just have become addicted to the "shoot thru the entire critter into the ground beyond" penetration (and durability) of skinny carbon shafts, and those are what make the fall aways really shine.

My latest ones would need a hell of a 'jump' in the shaft to lift off. It simply hasn't happened, in 17 years (the Barners have been around for awhile). I even ran after one deer with drawn bow and the arrow stayed on - nary a wobble.

9. goosehunter2118

Please read above. Thank you.

10. thejohnchapman

thejohnchapman Senior Refuge Member

I did. It is just that I have never had anything other than a drop away work very well with the skinny shafts. Possibly you do not use skinny carbons. Do you? That is not answered by your post.

Most people I know that use the WB (and really like it) use relatively heavy aluminum shafts.