Drop-Away Rests

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Duck Hunter Paul, Dec 20, 2006.

1. goosehunter2118

goosehunter2118 Elite Refuge Member

I have used thin carbons, but now I shoot thick. And they do have a WB for skinny arrows. Couldn't tell a difference between the two with a WB, so I started shooting the goldtips because the skinny arrows I was using were discontinued.

2. goosehunter2118

No, its not in your opinion, its prolly the truth.:nutz About the accuracy though, head over to archey talk. I have see enough proof (and shot enough) to see that you don't lose that much if any in accuracy. Again, every rest has it's place. Just like arrows, bows, sights, whatever.

3. hailcall

hailcall Elite Refuge Member

I shot a Wb for years I recently switched to a QAD dropaway rest that holds the arrow. It's the best of both worlds IMO, The Wb can shoot any size arrow you just need to change the insert they have different sizes. Good luck with what ever ya choose. Seth

4. HammerTimeBagley

HammerTimeBagley Senior Refuge Member

---

Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

Just use your finger to hold the arrow while traveling/drawing

goosehunter - If your arrow falls off of the rest - it's YOUR own damn fault

hammer

5. goosehunter2118

I know, that's why I am getting rid of the whole problem.:tu That way, I can't even screw it up if I try. Don't have to put my finger on the arrow and I can draw fast if need be, life is good.

What if I said this. There is a B&C buck 200 yards away. You can shoot the deer off-hand with a 30-06 and there is a high chance (around 95%) you will hit the deer in the vitals, or use a .308 with a rest and be 100% sure the deer is dead. Which one would you choose? I'll take the 100% answer even if I do lose a little umph. The logic is really that simple. When I am hunting, I want to be able to draw and shoot without worries. Why take the chance? Even if the chance is a 1% chance, why take it? It really makes no sense to me...am I the only one that sees this?

6. ghak99

ghak99 Elite Refuge Member

goosehunter2118, how are your arrows fletched?

7. 2fowl

2fowl Senior Refuge Member

I use the Muzzy drop away and love it, the thing is tuff as nails...and no probems....:tu

2Fowl

8. Bandhunter

Bandhunter Senior Refuge Member

The QAD can't "pop" off since it is in the locked position and does not fall away until you release the arrow at full draw. I considered getting a WB until I found this one because the way it secures your arrow and all the benefits of a drop away.

9. hailcall

hailcall Elite Refuge Member

I would take the 95% chance. That is why I practice it's part of the hunting experience.At 200 yards away a B&C buck shot with a .308 and rest is not even a challenge IMO. It's called hunting and one should be proficient with their weapon of choice. I am not trying to be an arse but anything that comes easy is not worth having. Seth

10. thejohnchapman

thejohnchapman Senior Refuge Member

Every rest has a risk. With the Whisker Biscuit there is the slight chance that it would tear off a vane, and result in a gruesome wound, despite perfect aim. I have had people tell me they won't shoot it anymore because of that.

With that said, I think most of the rests out there are reliable, when used appropriately -- WB included.

PS: Since 1991, I have been shooting EXCLUSIVELY fall away rests. I have never had an arrow fall off the rest during those years. Not in target, either. It could happen, but the incidence is WAY lower than 1%. There is probably more chance of my having a stroke.

Best to all