Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Drying Duck Feet question ?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Duck Assassin, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Duck Assassin

Duck Assassin Senior Refuge Member

Project for next Halloween is to make a necklace and earrings out of duck feet. Need some recommendations on how to dry them without getting brittle. Put them in dehydrator or other methods? Salt Borax?

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Depends on what your definition of "brittle" is. All the methods you mentioned will result in hardened, shriveled feet......not brittle, but not full and pliable either. I inject feet with a product called Master's Blend which is a 2 part plastic injected with a hypodermic needle. It keeps the shape of the feet from shriveling up, but they are not soft and pliable like a live bird. Injecting a mixture of Formaldehyde and Glycerin ( or Formalin) may keep them a little more pliable, but I'm not a fan of using Formaldehyde on a daily basis. Freeze-drying is another option, keeps the shape but again, not soft. Each of these methods will also require painting or re-coloring of the feet to retain the original color.

3. birdstuffer

birdstuffer Refuge Member Sponsor

4. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Formalin ...err Formaldahyde ..... Bad stuff but works the best and its fast .... make sure you have plenty of air circulation .. Or Masters Blend ...safer but not easy method

5. birdstuffer

birdstuffer Refuge Member Sponsor

Yes have adequate eye protection too while using either one.I don't like Master's Blend....it's messy and you can't get it off feathers.Formalin dries to a fine white powder that you can simply brush off with a toothbrush.