DSD decoy cleaning

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I have the upright hen from DSD. Great decoy, used it the past three seasons. Do you all have any tips on cleaning the decoy and/or modifying the stake? I guess soap and water are good or would armorall be of benefit? I am trying to generate a little more movement via the stake is why I ask the second question.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Armorall is going to make it shiny... I would NOT use it.

You could try greasing the stake and the insert hole I suppose...

You really want movement, you are probably going to need a string of some sort...

3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

x2

The only upright DSD hen I ever saw move well(wasn't my 2), was last spring huntin' Osceola's with Doc, and a hen got flustrated with his upright hen and proceeded to grab it by the beak and take it round & round & jump on it, till' it was twisted and pounded into the ground where it wouldn't move at all :l
    What a sight to watch :flame

4. Glades Ranger

They are consistently drawing in hens, can't say the same about the toms...had a coyote sneak up on mine last year and sit about 20 yards away ready to pounce and then scatter. Thanks for the feedback, guess I will use soap and warm water only. Will try and splurge and buy a second (maybe a feeding hen?) but right now I think one of those folding lounger chairs is needed more.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Those chairs are the bee's knees.

6. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Are they metal stakes and flat on top? If so, might want to take a grinder and round them off a bit.

7. Glades Ranger

Thank you, I think I will try that, won't hurt the stake or decoy none!

8. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Soap and water works best for cleaning. For movement, I would try a string but it's a hassle. I put a motor under the gobbler last year and it wasn't worth the effort. Honestly, I don't have any problem with the decoys being stationary.

I would also suggest that if you plan to buy a second DSD, buy the jake decoy. I didn't have much luck with just a hen decoy, but the jake decoy was a game changer. I've also used the DSD strutter decoy with excellent results. I've had up to three jakes attack that strutter at the same time. All of the birds we kill are either fighting the jake decoy or the strutter decoy. Typically, they birds will glance at the hen decoys as they head to the jake/strutter decoy but they rarely stop.

9. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Really? Wash it off with soap & water..Turkeys dust they don't detail each other with ArmorAll..

iawaterfowler likes this.
  10. Glades Ranger

Will try and sneak in a second DSD purchase....have tried a Mobil-B with an Osceola fan, looks great but does not entice the toms. My cork duck decoys get a renovating paint every year, I try and keep the turkey decoy looking good too.