DSD Decoy make a difference?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by fallsflight, Apr 12, 2009.

1. fallsflight

fallsflight Elite Refuge Member

Anyone that has purchased one of the DSD hen turkey decoys and have hunted over it, does it really make a difference? Have you found it to be worth the money or did your feather flex or other style decoy work just as well?

2. Chenhyperborea

Chenhyperborea Elite Refuge Member

I wasn't there but I borrowed my Jake and Hen DSD decoys to a buddy for his son's WI youth hunt. He said when a big Ol' Tom saw the dekes from 100 yards off he RAN across the open field and was all over the hen. Unfortunately, the action was not "slammed" shot and when he pulled the trigger .... "click". He then was flustered and ejected that shell and shot twice before that Tom would leave that decoy - he flew away safe and sound. They were within 10 yards! Now, for the bad side of things, my buddy slipped going down a hill and landed on the Jake .... it cracked and broke into several pieces. :z Not very durable.

3. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

I hunt with one and feel it is worth every penny! I would say durability is probably the only some what week point it might have. But I have seen birds come in closer and more relaxed then with my old decoys!! Nocalhonker

4. drop tine

drop tine Refuge Member

I think they look great, but I have killed just as many birds without decoys as I have with decoys. My answer is this, if you have the money for them buy them. I use the cheap decoys that Wal Mart sells and have pulled birds from acrossed an eighty acre field with them. The older I get the less I like to cary around, didnt ever use my vest this year just a mouth call and a hen decoy which I didnt even get to set up on both hunt that resulted in kills. AS I SAID BEFORE THEY LOOK GREAT.

5. chessie man

chessie man Senior Refuge Member

Yes and no ,, a lot depends on the mood, age and where in the pecking order the tom is.

They do look great and we have had good success with the hen decoy, we killed about 10 birds over the hen last year.

They are not a real tough decoy, mine got dropped on her head and it broke in half at the neck, it did glue back together fine and will be back in service this week for the opener.

Overall I think they are the best looking decoy out there.

CM

6. Maineduckhunter

Maineduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

When it comes to realism, the DSD Turkey decoy's are top notch, I don't think anyone else comes close.
    Do they put more birds in the bag? that's debatable. I'm a bit surprised at hearing how fragile they are. You would think that for the money, they would be a bit more resilient, then they are. Not sure if maybe the cooler weather in the morning has something to do with making the material more brittle and susceptible to breakage? Either way, if it gives you the added confidence out in the field/woods, then by all means, use it.

7. blklabs2

blklabs2 Senior Refuge Member

Had several clients use them the jakes and hen attacked them, the toms ,now dead liked them also best looking decoy out there my opinion!!!

8. fallsflight

fallsflight Elite Refuge Member

I guess I was just trying to justify spending the money on the decoy. Basically would like it due to its looks. Really wont give me any more confidence going into the woods. I guess I figure I have decent duck and goose decoys, why not add a nice turkey decoy to the mix? :) I now am concerned about the durability of the decoy as others have mentioned. I guess knowing that they can break easily, I will just have to watch my step a little more. I probably don't use decoys more than I do use them. If I remember correctly, I don't think I used a decoy at all when I shot my longbeards last season and plenty other ones in past seasons. Hmmm, to buy one or not to buy one? That is the question......:scratch Thanks for the replies.

9. SliderShooter

SliderShooter Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I have killed toms with and without decoys and with some pretty old faded hen decoys too. It can be done, but since I got a B Mobile from Primos and a DSD hen, it has changed my way of hunting. I have never seen the toms and jakes act they have this season. They are the most agressive birds I have ever encountered. They come in to fight the tom decoy and then they mate with the hen decoy and fight each other. My decoys have taken a beating this season. If you want to drive a tom completely over the top, add some red paint to the neck of the B Mobile tom decoy and use a real fan tail. Be prepared to replace your decoy's tail by the end of the season! After this season I am convinced that good looking decoys can make all the difference. Just be careful with the DSD, it can break if you drop it.

10. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

I don't follow with the durability issue. Right off the bat I was admiring the realism of her when I dropped her on the garage floor...only a small scuff on the tail, then I put close to 400 miles on an ATV in two weeks in Western South Dakota and Eastern Wyoming with the DSD hen bouncing on the back of the 4-wheeler over some ROUGH terrain in her protective bag w/ plastic sack, and nothing even remotely dis-satisfactory with wear, damage, etc.
    I don't know what to say about how turkeys think. I really believe it matters what species you are hunting and where you are hunting them. A ranch that hasn't ever been hunted will likely net you great results with a trashbag on a stick and some good calling, but when you talk about hunted turkeys I think the extra realism helps; and I KNOW it certainly doesn't hurt anything. So logically if it could only help you and not hurt you....why not??
    Two rio Jakes, one Rio Gobbler and Two Merriams Gobblers died beside mine last year, and they were hook, line, and sinker jobs.
    I recommend them 100%