DSD Decoy make a difference?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by fallsflight, Apr 12, 2009.

1. 11-87 killer

11-87 killer Senior Refuge Member

it took a month to get mine. not sure when your season starts. but worth the money.:tu

2. pudldux

pudldux Elite Refuge Member

I killed a mature Tom, 1 1/4" spurs last friday at 15 yards with my Hoyt AM35. I was using just the DSD hen, but most hens were still flocked up. To mimic a flock, I added 2 flambeau hens with the life like heads to the spread. It did the ticket on this bird. The funny thing was he paid no attention to the DSD and focused right on one of the flambeau hens. Do what gives you confidence, but I would not probably purchase another DSD decoy as I think they are not needed. They are a pain to haul in with all the other gear of a bowhunter. I might try and rig it to my wild thing pack for my next hunt in 2 weeks.

3. kstatemallards

kstatemallards Elite Refuge Member

I doubt the DSD makes a difference. It's probably more of a confidence thing for the hunter.

I had three toms come into my dekes this weekend and I was just using some cheap rubber ones.

If the DSD's could somehow fold up and be set at a lower price point I would be very interested but I just don't see the value. Great looking deke though.

4. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Well just like all the arguments on the goose forum, it doesn't really matter what anyone says, because the people who don't think they're necessary never will believe that they're worth the money. That's fine, and to them, they're not worth it and nothing is going to make them worth it.

It really depends on the birds you're hunting. Turkeys get decoy shy just like geese or ducks do, and its a fact that they're much less likely to shy away from a decoy that looks as close to the real thing AS the real thing. Some birds are more gullable than others, and if you hunt those, foam is probably just peachy.

I know I won't carry an inflatable or foam decoy ever again. Not saying every hunt I'm on will have DSDs, but I won't use another decoy again. I don't even carry foam decoys when I hunt the black hills because I don't want the weight. Just a couple calls in my pocket.

I've used the hen and jake on all my hunts this year so far, and every bird that saw those decoys went towards those decoys. Some ran, some strutted, but they all went right to them and never away from them. Every other decoy I've ever used, some bird has run from them.

5. kstatemallards

So the extra quarter pound a foam jake and hen weighs is too much for the hills? Maybe you should hit the 3 pound curls.

6. Cutt'emJack

Cutt'emJack Elite Refuge Member

I think they look awesome and will problably own a jake and hen for next year but man they look like a pain to carry around. I just got back from a Nebraska hunt and by the time I got all the crap I needed in my vest for my son and myself, I had to carry my B-Mobile and it was a huge pain. We never had to walk more than a third of a mile which is nothing compared to 90% of the places I hunt.
    How are you guys carrying them and how far are you having to travel. I can't think they would be very fun to pack around in South Dakota and Wyoming but they do look great.
    The durability seems to be an issue for some as well.

7. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

You're a funny guy Mr. Know-it-all. Actually, I don't wear a vest at all when I'm climbing the hills. "Just a couple calls in my pocket", or didn't you read that far?

No vest, no place to put those ultra-realistic foam decoys.

8. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

The whole decoy discussion is sort of funny to me.

The best decoy for a real hot tom is often none, so it's tough to argue that any decoy will lure a hot tom better than any other decoy.

Three toms in one weekend? 15-20+ is good for our group in a weekend, Dave Smith or any other brand. I called in 30 toms in one day in Kansas last year, without a decoy, so I must be just that good :dv

What I do like about the Dave Smith hen is the durability and realism. I had five jakes take turns mounting the hen decoy last Saturday. The 'event' last 45 minutes. I doubt a foam or inflatable decoy would have lasted very long.

I guess it just all depends on what you want to do with your money :tu

mudhen

9. kstatemallards

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

10. kstatemallards

Don't get all wound up. I like the idea of using an ultra realistic decoy. One day if they come down in price or I have more money I may look into getting one. Right now it's hard to justify getting a new decoy when the rubber ones work great. I had a tom standing in my decoys friday, sat and sunday and none of them cared about the quality of the decoy. Again, I'm not bashing dsd's, they look awesome, but it's just hard to see the value for myself.

I do have one question though. I know some of you said they have a tendancy to chip or crack if you drop them on the driveway and I was wondering what would happen if a tom spurred the jake. I had one put a hole in my rubber deke on fri and I'm curious if the dsd would hold up.