Dsd honks

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by HONKSRWORKN, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

There was three on a roost about 2 miles from one of our fields the whole season. Wade killed two of them in in the span of the week. Somebody cut some corn behind a pit he hunts alot and they had to go over his field to get to the fresh one. They didnt make it.

2. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Yea i got one of them Winisk Ont birds a few years back. Next prize is a jack miner band. Going to michigan for that.

3. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

Really??? Why is that:confused:

4. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

OK i have been following this for a while, and I dont get it..

are the geese out west the smartest geese in the world?

here guys use flippin tires leave them out all year, and kill geese every day.

I understan it is a different area, an pressure may be different, but I cannot imagine that there is any more pressure there than here when every field has a rig, or a pit, or an a frame stand up blind... and they get hunted in almost every one of these all year...

Now I get that you need geese really close out west to identify species, but come on guys they are canada geese for christs sake, not like they are snows, or even ducks..

It is crazy to me to think that you guys have bought into the hype so much, that you actually believe you need to spend that kind of money on decoys to kill canadas..

I hunt with Averys that are not fully flocked at a refuge where they get hunted everyday it is opened, and still kill my geese...and i dont shoot past 30 yards...

I hunt with big foot flaoters an averys and we shoot them in our faces....

Isnt it more important to be in a great spot?

we run a lot of traffic where I hunt and I wil say that being a good caller far outweighs what kind of decoys we use, and I have gotten the opportunity to see this as I get to hunt with world champion, and world cahmp calibre callers on a regular basis. I would say that with geese that is way more important than having 1000 dollar a dozen decoys..

heck fellas I have many many times called flocks into nothing but duck decoys.... and I am not even a great caller... how do you explain that?

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

6. GO BUCKS!

GO BUCKS! Senior Refuge Member

Maryland winters 400,000-600,000 Canada geese correct?
    You guys aren't allowed in this conversation :l

7. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

sorry you weren' there or you might know what you are talking about.
    We set up with Scott in the same field with a few hundred BFs about 400 yds away, between us and the roost. When they were done with BFs they simply headed out at a 90 degree angle, never to look back, even with Scott's tremendous calling. This was a traffic situation with 3 of us calling. We shot a single and had a pair that would have finished had we not all been out of the pit taking a wiz. The main flight pattern was quite a ways away and they were on a mission.

Now here is a thumbs up to Scott, he did try to get us the other pit, but some other guys beat us to it. This would have made things a lot different than what tranpired.

The next trip I took to Colo. I hosted the Benelli's American bird hunter show in Februalry. We did use a big spread of 72 DZs because the guides that were taking us out were not having much luck with their 400 regular full bodies. We shot limits for 7 guys geese that were hunted 7 days a week and as the guides alluded to, they were very stale geese. The guides were impressed with our results and we had a great time. They played parts of that show a few months ago in a tribute to the General. Paul

8. jeffk

jeffk Senior Refuge Member

Nice post Go Bucks! Let them try NW Ohio sometime!

9. jkryspin

jkryspin Elite Refuge Member

We also killed so many they pulled our season for 5 years.

10. gone goosin

gone goosin Elite Refuge Member

The Goose Whisperer :bow:bow...ppfft...please.