Dsd honks

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by HONKSRWORKN, Jun 14, 2009.

1. GRENHDKILR

GRENHDKILR Elite Refuge Member

:doh:rolleyes:Paul man you dont remember much do ya? First of all that morning we had at least 400 to 600 birds in small workable groups go right over the top of the pit if not more thats not counting all the birds that went over the feild itself.As far as calling we hardley did any because you thought by just sitting in the dark and pulling that string on your flutterwing and being quiet was going to work as you see that might work in washington but not here we should have been calling are *** off but if you remember i told you early that morning i was going to let you guys run the pit hunt the way you hunt and i did and it prouduced nothing.As far as the beneli show i also heard a different story but i wasnt there so i wont comment and i know both the guides who took you and you didnt impress them.

2. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

Hey, here's a little information for you and Jeffy about Canada goose numbers in Ohio, including harvest data and resident population data (ODNR).

Ohio's resident goose population, which consists primarily of the Giant Canada goose strain, has been successful beyond expectations where it was introduced, and in many cases, even beyond what was originally desired. These big birds are now often called "nuisance geese," thanks to their tendency to take up residence on golf courses, parks, manicured lawns and farms.
    Figures from 2002, the most recent that are available, showed about 99,556 resident geese in Ohio prior to breeding, which should have yielded about 140,000 geese for hunters last fall.
    "We expect the local goose population to at least hold its' own this year," Shieldcastle said, but he noted that unfavorable spring weather conditions might have hurt nesting success in some areas.
    Northeastern Ohio's Wildlife District Three contains portions of three goose-hunting zones. They are divided as such to regulate seasons and limit the harvest of migratory geese through timing and bag limits. For this reason, hunters should expect the top goose hunting areas in northeastern Ohio to be closed during November. Final season dates and bag limits should have been announced by the time you read this.
    During the 2001-'02 goose-hunting seasons (the most recent information that is available), Ohio hunters harvested approximately 72,214 geese, putting Ohio fourth in the Mississippi Flyway and 11th in the nation.

Remember, because some much of OHIO is hilly and timbered (dairy farms in the North and deer starting 35 miles south of Columbus), your relatively large population tend to be cocentrated in relatively small geographic areas. Carry on my friend. :)

3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

You're right - I wasn't there, but I've heard both sides of the story and only yours is full of excuses...you know what they say about excuses...

I bet there isn't a guy on this board who hasn't has his azz handed to him by someone in a nearby field.

Difference is, some guys can say 'I got my azz handed to me' and move on, whether it was something they fubared or just wasn't their day.

You've got reason after reason after reason after excuse. I know that you'd like to think the geese fly over, look down and say 'Hey, that's Paul Sullivan's **** down there, let's go' but it doesn't always happen that way.

You're already pre-assembling your list of reasons on another post just in case Brett puts the wood to you - guess it's good to have a plan...

4. Dead Goose Flying

Dead Goose Flying Senior Refuge Member

Recently I was at a waterfowl expo and saw DSD Honkers for the first time and was surprised that the body is only painted, not flocked. I asked the fellow at the display why the body isn't flocked. He explained that the urethane plastic and the paint DSD uses doesn't give any shine.

My question is why flock the head and neck if it is made from the same plastic? Wouldn't painting the head & neck be the same as painting the body?

I ask this as only a question and not a challenge, I'm assuming DSD has a good reason for this. The decoys looked very realistic.

5. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

The benefits of flocking are endless.

6. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Flocking looks better to humans and gives the deke that fuzzy feeling on your hand.:l:l

7. Dirk Snodgrass

Dirk Snodgrass Elite Refuge Member

Best post on this entire thread. I've gone on record stating that if some flocking is good, a lot of flocking is better and fully flocked is BEST. Think about it.

8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

I just wanted to repost how this thread started. I can't believe you guys could argue about decoys for 277 posts....

9. GO BUCKS!

GO BUCKS! Senior Refuge Member

Wrong.
    Canada geese are EVERYWHERE in the state.
    ...also that verbiage is from 2002 and the thought processes and "words associated" with our local geese have changed.
    The person quoted in that article stated at a symposium I attended that 90% of Ohio's total goose harvest is done on the first 2 days of the season. I doubt that everybody just quits goose hunting after the first 2 days. Something tells me that those geese get VERY conditioned to hunting pressure based on that stat VERY quickly.

10. Dead Goose Flying

Dead Goose Flying Senior Refuge Member

But who makes such a beast in a full body deek? DSD doesn't.