DSD Speck video

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Kazzy8, Oct 12, 2016.

1. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Knowing CA Birdmans profession, he's probably spot on with how they are managing their inventory and it has to make sense from an accounting and inventory perspective to not keep a huge inventory of highly expensive decoys into the next year when the demand curve is falling. I totally get that.

That being said though, they do also have to consider the X-factor of how many customers they may lose to other companies who do carry some inventory or will make to order specks during December of hunting season..... I have a feeling this number is growing.

I know they lost a sale to me, not just a dozen dekes either.

To each their own, I am not mad about it in the least, they're an American Company and I appreciate them for keeping it here, I hope they make billions and keep the jobs here for the foreseeable future.

2. DOUBLECLUCKER

DOUBLECLUCKER Elite Refuge Member

I bought all my DSD's about 10 years ago when you could buy a 4 pack off the shelves of the Sportsman's Warehouse. That was sure nice. I totally understand the frustration about the long wait. Luckily, mine are still in prime condition, so I won't need more anytime soon.

3. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

You know why they don't have the capital to invest in a larger inventory? I'll give you hint. Here's how the interview with the lender of the financial institution would probably go where they might apply for a loan to build their business.

Bank: "So Mr. Smith, I've reviewed your business plan. Let me get this straight. You're planning to cease production of your very successful goose decoys for 1-2 yrs, making only a very limited number to fulfill a 2 yr waiting list and foregoing potential further sales to consumers who aren't on that waiting list but would likely make large purchases of dozens of decoys at a pricepoint of approx $700/doz? And your reasons for doing this are to develop a turkey decoy where a limited number of consumers might purchase 1 or 2 at a pricepoint of slightly double a single goose decoy?"

Dave: "That's correct, sir."

Bank: :l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l:l Good luck, Mr Smith. Sorry. We can't help you.

4. bet4120

bet4120 Senior Refuge Member

5. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

Nope. Not at all. Just calling like I see it and like I and many others feel. Objectivity will set you free. Unfortunately, our country doesn't seem to look at that anymore.

6. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

If nothing else, its great entertainment value. Thanks for the laughs.

7. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Still best decoy on planet earth none the less

8. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

I believe Dave and Brad are truly good Guys that love to Hunt and Fish a lot .... So maybe just go do that and higher someone to do all the business .... and being good dudes and obviously not business men would never deliberately limit Product numbers to make them sell more decoys and have waiting lists Im sure they know many of us went happy with those wait times .... I read a post that said once they start to make Turkeys thats all they can do ... and my point dont switch completely over ... This from my point isn't about profit , its about Keeping your Customer Base happy , the ones that made you .... Yeah I know the Turkey decoy makes you more money thanks to a huge Cabelas order ..... Should be enough to run two shifts ... Id find a way but thats me ..Its not always about money when you have loyalty on the line I just dont think its to much to ask ... having goose decoys in stock for those of us that have to save up for a few months to buy DSDs and cant afford to pre pay .... Might just take a look at Replica about the same cost and they have a motion system that works , if DSD ever gets it together I could always switch back if I didn't see the performance and durability Ive had with DSDs ..... I think to have great CS you have to have product to sell , especially your flagship ..the Honker

Empty Skies likes this.
  9. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I could be way off base here but I'd venture a guess that DSD could do just fine without selling goose decoys. They've went after two virtually untapped markets when it comes to custom, ultra-realistic decoys, turkey and whitetail deer.

A lot of people chase turkeys and whitetail deer.

They've been extremely successful in the turkey decoy market. Their products are outstanding. It's changed the way we hunt turkeys, especially archery, which is how I hunt turkeys. They hold birds which is essential in archery. They've cornered the market on a decoy that many have tried to mimic now and it's odd to see someone not using them these days.....

Now I'm not much of a whitetail hunter so I wouldn't know how successful the deer decoy is but from the other sites I frequent dealing with archery deer hunting, folks are pretty happy with them. I've thought about seeing if they'd build me up a deer painted like a Colombia Blacktail, just to see what kind of reaction I'd get from a rutting buck....

Like I said, just my two cents. Dave and Brad are pretty sharp dudes, I'm sure they know what they're doing. I'm glad they haven't "sold out" or resorted to putting together a subpar product.

Wareagle1 likes this.
  10. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

I agree your right they do make the best turkey decoy on the market next to a good stuffer ..... Of coarse their turkey line is awesome , expectedly so , It's not my point ..... First it makes sense to make them during the season , then make plenty , no waiting lists , first come first serve and make plenty so you don't run out , it's not like decoys go bad on the shelf make twice what you need .. But really if the turkey and deer market are that good then couldn't it be a stand alone operation... And then another for goose decoys .... Btw RDC has a turkey decoy coming soon , bet they make goose decoys yr round as well as turkeys .. I've made my desission and I'm going with RDC specks ... DSD care more about green backs than the people that helped them get were they are .. If they cared they wouldn't leave us hanging ..... if they cared they'd find away ... But I guess it's dumb for me to care , it's their business ....
    They make the best decoys on the market IMO love the poses and paint , I'm just done waiting around for them to have product in stock ... I have a DSD turkey , they are always in stock ....