DSD Speck video

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Kazzy8, Oct 12, 2016.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

It is easy to say build plenty so you don't run out. How many is that. If they don't sell out, then the $$$ it cost to pay the workers to make the them, the materials, insurance on inventory, etc. come out of the owners profits or pocket until the next year when they can sell them. But the extra cost of having a warehouse to hold the extra production adds to the monthly overhead. Just like in sports, it is always easy to spend someone elses money. As a business owner myself, you have to deal with the bottom line and make judgements.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Yep.

3. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Buy RDC's then, period, but stop complaining on everyone of your posts about availability of DSD's.

Happy hunting

4. not sponsred

not sponsred Senior Refuge Member

I am entertained by the number of people who think they think they understand whats going on in the minds of others. I don't believe there are more then a very few number of people who would switch from DSD to any other brand unless they lost their job or forgot how to save money.. maybe I'm wrong, but watching these threads is hilarious.. Maybe those of you who think they could run someone else's company better then they can, should give the owners a call and offer some advice.. The only pre-requisite is that you have run and operated a successful manufacturing business.

5. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

I'm also entertained by the number of "groupies" and "pro-staffers" who come on here and make claims that show they either know nothing about what the average consumer thinks about a company or they just don't care. I know plenty of guys who have switched from DSD and I think this thread suggests they're not alone. Think what you want. But, don't claim to know what everyone else thinks because it's obvious you don't know. Anybody who thinks RDC's aren't every bit as realistic looking as DSD's is downright delusional.

I also find it laughable that people who really don't have a clue about inventory and running a small business claim that they shouldn't manufacture more decoys because they might end up with excess inventory. Those same guys are the ones claiming that DSD's are the **** and everyone is either using them or wants them. If they're such the cat's meow, then excess inventory shouldn't be a problem, should it?? Two year waiting list for a while and many others who couldn't buy decoys when they wanted them because they were sold out for years and now you claim they might end up with excess inventory?? You know what that's called?? Not knowing your sales history and market potential. Production Management 101.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

So they quit making goose decoys to make deer and turkey decoys ?
    How many deer or turkey hunters set up over 6 to 10 dozen or more deer or turkey decoys ?:scratch:scratch:scratch

7. bet4120

bet4120 Senior Refuge Member

You show your ignorance when you use quantity as an example. It's about profit. How many turkey decoys could they make in the time it takes to make those 6 to 10 dz goose decoys? Now how much profit is in those said turkey decoys, compared to the goose decoys? Everyone wants to talk about how poor Dave's business plan is and you might be right, but not in the terms that you think. Be glad that his business plan is flawed, because if it wasn't, he wouldn't be making goose decoys anymore. Dollar for dollar, labor hour to labor hour, I'd bet a pretty penny that the turkeys out perform the goose decoys in terms of profit. But being an artist like Dave is, I think they mainly switch production just to keep themselves fresh. If they made one thing, day after day, year after year.....they/he'd get bored. They enjoy producing/prefecting/tinkering with different things. And in the end, it's his business, he can do what he wants. Don't like it, go somewhere else. But is it going to hurt them.......not really. Hell, they sell out of everything they make, business must be doing okay than.

Dan Mallia and Wareagle1 like this.
  8. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

Nope. You show your ignorance when you use that as an example. Nice try though. How many "repeat" customers do you think the turkey decoy market has? Once somebody buys a turkey decoy or two, they're pretty much done as a consumer in that market. How many goose decoys do waterfowlers purchase? If they're like me, a lot. My decoys see wear and tear, I make changes to my spread, I purchase different species, etc. Even if a turkey decoy has a profit margin of 2x over a goose decoy, a purchase unit of 6 goose decoys generates 3x the profit over a purchase unit of 1 turkey decoy. Sure it might take more man-hours to paint and mfr those additional decoys but that's why you hire more people to keep up with consumer demand. Over time, you have to maintain your business model to maintain your customer base. Otherwise, you become a fly-by-night company with a one-shot wonder. While the profit margins might be bigger for a turkey decoy, the total capital improvement for the business in the goose decoy market is better for the long-term. Let's face it, DSD is a "hobby" retailer. They're not in it to become a major player in the decoy market. But, as a hobby retailer, you have to be prepared to lose market share to other retailers who look to jump in a fill a void that your company is leaving--in this case, lack of product availability. How many decoys do you think RDC has sold due to the sheer fact that DSD didn't have them avail?

callinfowl likes this.
  9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Speck other than running your mouth or keyboard, what have you accomplished in your life that proves you know everything. The laws of supply and demand come into play, if unlimited supply prices are cheap, demand greater than supply, prices are high but leaves room for competition to come in. If cost or profit margin is so great and with low barrier to entry, then someone should be willing to come in at a price between Tanglefree/Avery and DSD, RDC, and make a killing.

I am not a groupie, don't own a DSD decoy but I have work daily with small business clients in lots of different industries as a CPA and my CPA firm is a successful small business employing 15 people which is the size I like it but we seem to keep adding employees who are profitable. I have always found the ones claiming to be saints, the most enlightened, sharpest and best, know it alls. etc. to be the biggest frauds in reality.

10. bet4120

bet4120 Senior Refuge Member

Repeat customers? How about Cabelas, Mack's and Rogers Sporting Goods to name a few (companies that place huge turkey decoy orders every year). And did you really just refer to DSD as a fly by night operation? They're going on almost 20 years. Do you know how many custom decoy manufacturers have come and gone in that time? Do you know that the company you think that's stealing all of Dave's customers, is one of them? For us that realize that, we get a pretty good laugh everytime you try and compare a companies business plan that's been around for 18 years (selling out of everything) to a company that's on it's second go around and is currently barely on year 2. I think Dave's "hobby" business is doing just fine. You ever heard of a DSD sell, or a inventory reduction? Nope! Because they sell out of literally everything they make. They can't make their goose or turkeys fastest enough to keep everyone happy. Sure they could maybe bring in more people, but maybe quality would suffer (that's usually how it works). Dave's said from day one, they have no interest in being the biggest, just the best.

Disclaimer: No disrespect to RDC. I actually think they're the best plastic decoy on the market right now. Being a sculptor by trade, I think Dave's poses and molds are slightly better, but the paint scheme on the RDCs is on point.