DSD

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by don835, Aug 31, 2017.

1. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on how pressured your area is. Last year on early season opener I was the last field in the flight line from the roost with 7 other decoy spreads between my field and the roost. It was a cut wheat field with windrows. First day I hid with a kid outside the decoys and cross shot and easily limited. The birds were super nervous and flying high because they had all been shot at numerous times already. Drove up to the roost after we were done and every other field was still hunting. Next day a buddy came out and wanted to hide in the decoys. We shot geese but they were sliding off. Had to move outside the decoys, even though we were in wind rows, and the geese finished. You don't get a better hide then that.

Two weeks later I hunted the same area with a buddy who's been a goose guide for 6 years. We decided to hide the layouts in a small wetland in the field. I was hesitant that we weren't hidden well enough, my buddy thought I was high. Guess what? Birds saw something they didn't like with the blinds and they would slide.

I know some guys who hunt in eastern Wisconsin and they still limit out on early geese in silage cut corn fields with layout blinds. I see the photo's of their blinds and how they're hidden and laugh. It would never work where I hunt. It's all about pressure, and how new the birds are in the area. That includes any season.

2. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

I agree. Sometimes sept geese can be pretty tricky to get to commit to decoys. The young ones are new to game but mama and papa bear know the drill. Especially if true local geese.
    Location is key...then hide...then decoy realism. I have had days where birds pay no attention to my Dsd spread...then other days birds act like it's their long lost cousin they been itching to see.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I am not bragging,I didn't kill any geese ,I am 2000 miles away from him.My friend did it and he isn't bragging he is complaining,4 months and 5000.00 later no decoys.What's your opinion on how long is to long?

4. mpkowal

Hooking up with my teaching?

5. ZachChauvin

ZachChauvin Refuge Member

Wish my order arrived, UPS tracking says delivered at 1:57 at front door... needless to say nothing to be found anywhere.

Those look awesome btw OP.

6. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

Did you ever get your DSD's?

7. mpkowal

Oh here's a an update for you DSD fans,my friend waited 4 months ,finally got his DSD 2 hunts 5 broken necks.Sure they will replace them but now he has the hassle odf shipping.

8. deand1

deand1 Refuge Member

That makes me wonder how he broke them?

Wareagle1 and BirdJ like this.
  9. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Have had mine for 8yrs now and I haven't broken any of them yet but I don't treat them like Bigfoots either!:no

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  10. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

I’m sure he’s talking about the one piece honkers, my guess is they where grabbed by the neck.
    5 out of thousands sold :scratch, user error?

BirdJ and DOUBLECLUCKER like this.