DU not in favor of water flowing South of Delta

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Docter Duck, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Docter Duck

Docter Duck Elite Refuge Member

Just got a call from another hunter from the Grasslands and apparently DU has expressed in writing that the smelt wins and are not supporting Feinstein's legislation. So I guess us folks in the Grasslands and in the Kern area just got sold out by DU?? Anybody else hear this?

2. delta greenheads

delta greenheads Senior Refuge Member

what are u talking about i hope you dont want them to pump more water down to kern for those crooks they are ruinning are delta

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Good !!!!! It's about time someone stepped up to the plate , to save the delta !:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu :pra

4. SCHMOOTER

SCHMOOTER Senior Refuge Member

Please tell me who the crooks are?

5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

All I can say is quit building in the damn desert !:dv

6. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

The freshwater flows required to keep the Delta from becoming way more salty, way further upstream, are likely to end under the things Feinstein's campaign "benefactors" are urging her to get for them.

Obviously............... that is Team Stinky Ducks. :eek:

Mitch Farro

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I did not see directly in the article I read, but it was hinted that part of the water that Feinstein wanted to give to the farmers would be coming from the refuges potentially or that by allowing it, basically rice and other crops would wind up selling their water and fallowing their fields in future years if the price for rice and other north valley crops drops below what could be made by selling the water south. DU was also somewhat sticking up for science versus the almighty dollar although the farm losses hurt CA as well.

Additionally although we might want Lake Sacramento to decline, all that decomp water could be sold. The decomp while a portion is lost to soaking in, it helps the aquifiers and then in a normal rain year, the rain replaces most of what is lost to evaporation, seepage, so that in the end a lot of what was pumped in for winter decomp is dumped back into the rivers.

8. dl537

dl537 Elite Refuge Member

:tu:tu:tu

9. Hunnfshcal

Hunnfshcal Elite Refuge Member

:scratch

So why is DU co-sponsoring a 100 million dollar project in the Tulare Lake Basin. Doesn't make since to me :confused:

10. MQ

MQ Senior Refuge Member

I'm sure it has to do with the fact that the Tulare Basin was historic waterfowl habitat. The whole dynamic of the area was changed by farmers, Bueau of Reclam, etc. DU is trying to restore some of the historic wetlands. Where water in the future comes from is anybodies guess.