DU not in favor of water flowing South of Delta

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Docter Duck, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

DU's charter is what it is perceived to be by its members or donors. Reality says Obamabucks is the chief donor today. It seems not too long ago there was considerable deliberation to set forth that DU shall or shall not be considered a hunting advocate.

2. davkrat

davkrat Elite Refuge Member

Between the turntables with the Vodka and the mixe
    While on auto tours taking photos I have talked to quite a few people who say they are members of DU who then adamantly state that they "DO NOT HUNT"! Your post is a little scary to me in that it sounds like this could polarize hunters away from a historically pro-hunting conservation group. To me that is a very slippery slope.

3. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

No this is exactly what this thread is about, because they mentioned the health and well being of the delta smelt and the water needs which were needed for it when comparing them to the needs of the farmers and subsequent waterfowl.

It really was a simple question that laid it all on the line...the fact that you don't want to address it...well that might tell me something about your real take on the whole thing.

In as much as extremist environmental groups manipulate and use the ESA as a tool to further their agenda's, I might believe that you are simply using the controversial but pragmatic approach by a conservation organization in addressing these issues to perhaps mask your own selfish concerns? If your a duck club owner you have a lot at stake just like the farmers and perhaps that shows through as well?

As for the ducks...we should always be concerned and do what we can, but not blindly.

4. Docter Duck

Docter Duck Elite Refuge Member

I made no cover up about myself and apologize if I did not make myself clear on that...I am a Grasslands land owner and no doubt feel betrayed. The ESA has done some good no doubt about that but it becomes more and more apparent that it is a "Trump Card" that a whole new industry has evolved around. Funny thing it has taken a BIG home right here in our State. An earlier post said it about where DU might just be heading and in this instance that statement by DU from my vantage point I would expect something like that from the Sierra Club not DU.

5. WIGEONATOR

WIGEONATOR Elite Refuge Member

Believe me I understand perfectly...

All other issues aside just answer me this honestly and then I'll be done pestering you guys...if the economic well being of farmers and ducks were to temporarily be degraded in one year for the existence of a species who's interest should win out?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the scenario you are describing acuratately mimics the current situation. I beleive concessions should be made for the smelt. I also believe those concessions can be met without making the central valley go dry.

6. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

The Central Valley hasn't "gone dry". This started with Fienstein deciding it was a good idea to guarantee a water delivery to certain South of Delta ag junior rights holders for a couple years, whether it further impacted several ESA listed fish (and other water users) or not. The only politics I see was who contributed enough $ to get the Senator to doo this? The long term consequences of such an end run, political action (one that ignores the USF&WS's Biological Opinion for Delta smelt) alone was a sound biological reason for DU to not support it.

The water was, at the time, likely to have been purchased from the Sac Valley, where it was pretty likely to provide some benefit to waterfowl. The Butte Sink and other basins initially flood up a lot of their ground by capturing rice water when it becomes "abandoned water". So this wasn't just a Grasslands benefits issue.

Since the snow pack was rated at 107% of normal today, we can all give a sigh of relief that we aren't in the situation this year of deciding what part of our natural heritage to sacrifice. We may not be so lucky next time.

Mitch Farro

7. WIGEONATOR

The west side went dry, and I was told that I may never recieve water again no matter what conditions are like.

Another thing Diane Fienstiens proposal fit within the scope of the smelts biological opinion. I'm sure paranoid smelt lovers would like for you to think otherwise, but it's a fact...

8. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Mitch,

As you said before, we could argue about this stuff forever. The thing that frustrates us down here is that with a 107% snowpack and Shasta getting close to flood releases, the feds are only committing to a 5% delivery for Westlands and inadequate summer water for the Grasslands. In the old days, this would have meant a 60% or better delivery. We've improved our irrigation effiency and already idled hundreds of thousands of acres to cope with the water situation. But a 5% supply with above average snowpack seems a little unfair.

9. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Randy was one of the brightest and best. He was a true scientist, carried very little if any political baggage. When appointed as DWR's Chief Scientist by Director Dave Kennedy, Randy worked directly under my supervision until my retirement at the end of 1998. Throughout Randy's tenure he gave sound scientific counsel to DWR management.

10. WIGEONATOR

My sentiments exactly

I tell you what, you can let every drop of water run out to the ocean for one year! If there is no significant improvement in fish numbers! I want water!