DU-Shaking my head

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Marylandwhitetail, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Marylandwhitetail

Marylandwhitetail Senior Refuge Member

Nice capture but I really expect a cover shot to be held to a much higher level of photo quality. Even my GF that knows nothing about it and just carried the mag from the mailbox into the house commented on how "crappy"(her words)= muddy and unclear it looked.

Come on DU if the pic is not sharp don't use it because it degrades the whole image of DU in my mind.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I guess my pictures are absolute crap then.

I see eyes and heads in focus and motion blur on the wings which IMO is better than a completely static shot, but that's just personal opinion.

I should also add that I'm viewing on my iPhone and everything looks better on an iPhone.

3. Marylandwhitetail

Trevor your correct motion blur does add to a shot when the ducks are pumping with them or even a ruffled edge from braking but that's not the case in this shot.

When you get a chance look at it on a computer screen or in hand. Your saying it looks fine on your Iphone and it might be a fine image for FB but it's not cover quality for a major magazine if they are to be viewed seriously IMOP.

4. Susquehanna Gauge

Susquehanna Gauge Elite Refuge Member

More of a painting look than a photo IMO....

I personally think the sharper the better....:tu

5. huntersdad

huntersdad Elite Refuge Member

I didn't think it looked that bad in print, but not pin point sharp. I have seen worse on the cover. It looks terrible here though.

I get the sense they take what they are given and then make it work for the use. So the picture may have been submitted sharp, but they cropped tighter on the birds and it fell apart. I submit stuff that will work for my spot on page 37 (been there the last 2 issues and it's not really my spot) but not the cover. I also submit some stuff, as we probably all do, that smokes the cover choice. You win some, you lose some.

I'm still waiting on a trip with SG one year.

6. Marylandwhitetail

Maybe I'm just too anal and particular for my own good. I've only ever submitted 2 pics for the DU mag one got the cover,the other printed and was runner up in the yearly amateur contest.
    Things like this almost make me think I need to quit deleting the stuff I see as just ok...:scratch

7. huntersdad

I don't think you're being anal as I can see your point. However, when I submit stuff, it's not always 100% perfect - sometimes 95%. So, if I submit something that is 95% and they choose to crop in/enlarge/whatever to make it work for their purpose, there's nothing I can technically do about it. End result is on them.

8. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

My wife made very similar comments about the photo. But, its still better than my skill level currently.

9. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Have the issue on break room table at work. Everyone has commented on the photo negatively. Most are like me and think it looks like a painting.

10. huntersdad

I rescind my previous comments. After looking again, it does look pretty bad.