DU-Shaking my head

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Marylandwhitetail, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Life is not always "absolutely" sharp!! How many fuzzy mornings have you had???

I think the composition as well as the "pose" is the seller on this one... I do like that!! However, as I have said before lot of this goes back to the people doing the pre-press and actual printing, something DU and many magazines put very little effort into nowadays..

Like Trevor, I like the wing-blur and the sensation of motion and I m not a big fan of "dead-stick" forensic images of a bird hanging from a wire motionless. But then again it's taken this old man a long time to even accept the "digital" realm.

You guys are looking at this from a photographers standpoint and a digital one at that while being more concerned by the technical aspects than the actual content of the image, while the majority of DU readers could care less if the image is that of high quality and know nothing about photography itself... Most of them would say, "Wow" look at that cool picture and think nothing of what goes into it photographically speaking or the printing end!~!

SO while you stew over an unsharp image, see it from the view of the general members as well as the content and not the technique.

Looks to me as a small portion of a frame anyway. (huge crop) My nit would be this image needs a lot more room and not so tight of a cop. That might make all of the difference here as well ..

DIzzy

2. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

I'm not expert here but look at the picture and take note of where it's blurry. It's only blurry where the script is overlayed on the bird. Now look at last months issue with the wigeon, same thing. In my opinion, they make specific parts of the image blurred to make the text more noticeable.

3. Dizzy Duck

Coming from my many years with National Geographic and other publications in magazine layout and design and digital imaging,, that was not a practice we used on too many occasions. "Rarely if ever!!!".. But I wouldn't put it past the Yahoos who print this rag. Especially with the "Title script" which is overwhelming as it is. "Duh!!!!":doh

But today, not a lot of effort is put into those areas as it used to be many departments working together in a harmonious effort with many eyes going over the final product for content and quality control. Now it is just normally one "over-worked" individual sweating deadlines with the printer. Or the "Smart Phone-Tablet" frame of mind seeing things in miniature!

Oh for the grand ole days when folks actually gave a damn!!!

4. D Stimac

D Stimac Moderator Moderator

That's the worst image quality I've ever seen on a DU cover.

5. schlag

schlag Senior Refuge Member

I thought it was not the best, but it was the Teal Issue. They are small ducks and not the easiest to get close up flying shots, especially of a pair in flight. I am sure it was cropped a little more than normal, but 99% of the people who read the magazine think it is fine. The average reader of most magazines out there thinks the iPhone 5 is the best camera out there! I am in Honolulu right now. I was taking landscape shots of the city from a scenic over pass with a nice wide angle lens and everyone else that came along just used there cell phone to take pics. There was even a film crew from Japan with a ungodly expensive video camera doing shots. As soon as he was done, he took out a cell phone and proceeded to snap away. This is what we are becoming!

6. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I got the mag in the mail the other day too and compared to the usual images on the cover, it is lacking sharpness and quality.

The image as a whole is a great composure and I think that's what DU was maybe going for over a tack sharp image.

Schlag
    I agree with you on the use of cell phones and people thinking they are photographers with those things. Last Thursday I was in my states capital city for fireworks and the amount of people taking pictures with their cell phones was crazy!

7. HDC

HDC Senior Refuge Member

The real question here should be ... "Why isn't this cover photo one of Charlie Longs shots?" I seen a couple teal shots that you have that are WAY better than this cover.

8. Dizzy Duck

Hell, I suck at BIF but have a better Teal in flight image... Perhaps DU is giving other-folks a little "glory" instead if the same folks over and over!!! After all, the whole Idea of DU is not just for the best Quack shooters..... Everybody and their dog now has a camera and all want to get some glory. So I would say it's just dandy with me.

Everything is changing folks so before you go out and drop thousands of dollars on high priced gear, make sure you drop it for you love of photography and to better your hobby; and not as a way to gain financial rewards. Their packing 20 megapixels in the damn Smart Phones today and we all got those.

I for one do it for the love of it and could care less if I make a penny or impress my peers. My little tweety -birds are popular with a lot of folks and I sell quite a few images and donate just as many to organizations. But its the fun and interest of it and not the money that keeps me slogging through bogs and tick infested grasses.

9. HDC

HDC Senior Refuge Member

I do it for the chicks ... no wait, damn-it ... the ducklings, the ducklings. I always get that wrong.;)

10. Dizzy Duck

A "quack" is better than a "Cluck"!!! I hear Ya!!:dv:l