Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Duck boat camo cover

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by dukhawk, Jan 3, 2018.

1. dukhawk

dukhawk Senior Refuge Member

Ok after doing this for 50+ years i ought to have figured out the best way to cover the boat when you're hunting a marsh or blind that doesn't have a boat hide, but have been using burlap rolled up on a pvc pipe for 10 years or so and it works, well merely ok. doesn't fully cover the sides, freezes after wetting, etc etc etc. plus i have a 1448 jon that nobody- at least as far as i know- makes a cover long/ wide enough to hide without 'sewing' two pieces together with zip ties or something so that it goes over the sides. Don't like the big pieces of punched out camo as it catches on every single thing it touches. advice / criticism welcome.

thnkx, HW

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Punched out camo is crap. Thin as toilet paper and after two hunts, good only for that. I went back to burlap. Darker the better. You can see out of it, it rolls up into a flat ball and chucks into the boat just fine. It gets wet and it dries. It can get mildewed, just shake it out and stand upwind. If it freezes and sticks together, pizz on it. My Buddy has a 25 or 30’ length of cut camo but it is thick tuff stuff. Wish I had a source for it.
    I tried something that worked out great this year. Completely covered the boat in camo burlap. Walmart stuff I bought for $5 a length at the end of the season last year. Layed in a chase lounge with more burlap up to my chin. Clipped the other camo to the gunnels to keep it from flapping or moving out of its covering position/job. Camo jacket, hat, gloves, turky netted face mask, black gun. Dont screw around and move. Lay there and watch the show. Geese came right over. Worked another time with some ducks too. My jon boat became a big ole layout boat, kinda sorta.

3. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

camosystems makes the good military camo netting that has the rope integrated in it that will last for years. the stuff without the rope that is just the diecut camo typically doesn't last long and rips up.

be careful if you put this over a boat that has any control switches on a center or side console. had the net flip the switch for the go-light remote spitlight and melted the plastic lense cover and run down my secondary battery. thank god I had a battery control switch and had my starting battery isolated.

5. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Put tank netting over the cordura. Tank netting alone is like a tar baby and briar patch all in one.

6. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

:l one of my favorite adjectives at work.

7. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Thank God for Desert Shield and Desert Storm...think we still have some tank covers from "the sarge" for hunting. Remember the days when four or five of us and a dog just laid under the tank cover in the decoys and hunted geese. Geese had never seen a genuine U S Marine tank cover...they learned fast though!
    By the way, that combination of tank cover over a 900 or 1000 denier cordura sheet would get my vote for a boat cover...indestructible.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Tar Baby. 3 years ago I was into fixing a few aggravating leaks in my Jon Boat with roof tar. It would last about 6 months. A hunting friend named my boat Tar Baby and it stuck.

9. dukhawk

dukhawk Senior Refuge Member

great ideas and advice, thanx guys

10. Duckrussml

Duckrussml Senior Refuge Member

This is what I use

T blind4.jpeg