Duck Boat Floor install

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jangle, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jangle

jangle Senior Refuge Member

20171204_185935.jpg Hey guys, I have been wanting to put a floor in my 1648 for a little while now. I was at the scrap yard the other day and found a whole pile of 30"x30" road signs. I decided that this would be the best and cheapest route to put a floor in. I was able to pick up enough aluminum signs for $50. below is a picture of them just laying in the boat, i will cut around the ribs and piece them together so that it is smooth. i plan to cover the floor with a roll of the cheaper hydroturf material you can get at hardware stores. More updates to come. One question i do have, should i seal all the rivets in the bottom of the hull before putting the floor in? i dont have any bad leaks, but a couple slow seeps.

RTIC likes this.
  2. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Refuge Member

On my boat, I stripped to bare metal and painted inside and out before putting the floor in. Also put blue foam board insulation between the ribs. Then the floor riveted down. Much better than tripping on ribs

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I would flip the signs over for when the flooring wears through.

Good idea on the rivets. Mine came with self tapping screws which come loose way to easily. I have used pan head screws but will switch to rivets next time.

4. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

I would reset the rivets rather than try to seal them. I also would rivet the floor in rather than screwing it down.

5. jangle

I will be riveting the floor in with the larger headed rivets. plan on starting today.

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I have to wonder what meth head stole all those signs and sold them for scrap.

7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

If you have access to a brake, bend you a smooth 90 on the edge that will go against your sides.

If you are going to run lights or anything to the front from a battery in the back lay you in a piece of pvc or plastic conduit to run wire in before you do the floor.

WestKyHunt and DEADEYE like this.
  8. cajunduck man

cajunduck man Senior Refuge Member

That's a really good idea. Since you are going the economy route, for flotation I remember a post where someone used plastic bottles as flotation. Just a thought and best of luck with your project. Looking forward to more pics.

freefall likes this.
  9. jangle

got alittle more done on the floor. It is taking some longer than expected, having to cut every piece, but it is coming along nicely.

20171207_160026.jpg

callinfowl and ducksinwv like this.
  10. jangle