Duck Commander Reeds

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by jdduckman, Jul 26, 2018.

1. jdduckman

jdduckman Senior Refuge Member

So around the 1st of July I called DC for some extra reeds for my cut down magnum calls I have used since the 80's. The Customer Service (CS) Rep said I would have to send in my calls to them, so they could tune them. I said I just want the reeds and I will tune them myself. The CS rep said to just tell them that when you order them.
    On the 8th of Jul I tried to order some, but they said I had to send in the calls, so they could measure them. I said I just want the reeds and they said we can't send just the reeds without the calls.
    I ended up just ordering 7 double reeds (on Jul 8) not necessarily for the Cut down magnum.
    It's now 18 days later and the CS rep said they would be here next week. I honestly think when you watch Duck Dynasty and see Si just screwing around not making reeds is real lol!

Has anyone tried to make their own double reed calls for their DC Calls? Or know of another source?

At this rate, I would never send them my calls!

2. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

No, but I have a old (circa 1980) DC200 and the top reed tip broke, so I ordered several reeds. They were too long as the current mdl DC200's tone board is longer than mine. I did have to cut them down (almost at the rivet). I would never send my call in either as the Cutdown you have is probably worth some coin if they are the original mdl.'s and the year you've quoted they may be.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Gone are the days when Robertson would just hand you a bunch of them. Have to be cross-referenced, special ordered and shipped via slow boat from the Orient now.

4. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

I drop a commander and chief on the garage floor and busted the insert. tried to order said the needed a picture of the broken part sent it to their phone no no they needed e mail; picture sent that 9 times heard zippo I think we need phil back called him the reeds would have arrived in less than a week I and I would have my part

5. smitty980510

smitty980510 Refuge Member

Mack’s prairie wings did stock replacement reeds for DC as I bought several. I don’t see Them on there anymore. They are the new style reeds but with some trimming as others have stated, they will work. I’d be glad to send you a few if you would like. Send me a pm

6. jdduckman

jdduckman Senior Refuge Member

Appreciate all the offers of help and that they seem to treat everyone the same.
    I will wait to see what happens next week. May have to stop payment on the CC and if they come, let them chase me a bit.

7. austin lemoine

austin lemoine New Member

Does anyone here have any DC's they would part with? I collect them and always looking for more or different ones. Thanks

8. OneShotBandit

Too late, I gave away 3 of the old cream colored cutdowns several years ago. Never could run them! :doh

austin lemoine likes this.
  9. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

one shot; if only the tip broke off try cutting off the bottom tip also [where it bends up] you might get a real pleasant surprise I detip all my dc reeds more sound and mallards seem to like it [ when we have mallards] ps I bought a dozen reeds 10 yrs ago 6 left but my go to call is broke and no one a duck comm. seems to want to help.

10. OneShotBandit

ten,
    That was 25 years ago, but thanks for the "tip (no pun intended)."