Duck Creek

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by wilhelmina slim, Dec 24, 2017.

1. wilhelmina slim

wilhelmina slim Senior Refuge Member

I was looking at the harvest report for Duck Creek as it shows little success for hunters. I grew up hunting DC late 50"s until 1980. In those days it was a very good place to hunt for people that had to hunt public. I still like to drive around the place every now and then it still brings back memories hunting with my father. I know it has changed a lot over the years with new construction etc. But with 70,000 ducks on 12-20-2017, 84 hunters average 1 duck and other days less. hunting 40 places with most in poor line. What has happen to the place? I was thinking the report was wrong or not reported correct. I am just asking the questions if hunters that go there can give any info. I know what it use to be in the old days.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I know somebody is going to explain it in detail for sure !!!

3. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

Simple: Its called warm weather...

4. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Climate change and Mostly Duck Control

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

Really, is this happening again?

6. Sunklands

Are you from Wilhelmina, on the St. Francis? If so I'm kind of familiar with that area. I live and farm around the DC/Mingo area and have hunted in the area for along time. State run wildlife area's are very politically influenced. In other words, they require lots of taxpayers $$$, but unfortunately they don't reflect that in the habitat or wildlife. Where they do reflect their $$$, is new trucks, tractors, and fancy administrative buildings. As for the habitat or lack of in DC, that's the main issue, same sort of for Mingo. The old stands of mast trees have died from to much water and have not been replaced with fast growing pib

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Yeah we have discussed this in detail, same old same old.

8. wilhelmina slim

wilhelmina slim Senior Refuge Member

I apologize for posting this about DC, I did not know this has been discussed a lot please feel free to delete this post. I did not mean to bother the people that post a lot on here. Sunklands I live around Wilhelmina.

9. Sunklands

I knew a guy who passed several years back from Campbell, who was an extremely good and avid outdoorsman named Don Brannon.

10. Sunklands

DC's failure to accommodate the hunters and fisherman who come there are because they've failed to accommodate the wildlife. Most is purely politically motivated. Instead of spending our $$$ on wildlife they spent our $$$ on themselves, trucks, tractors, and fancy administrative buildings in the cities. A lot of the old feed trees died due to, to much late season water. Cypress and tupelo gum can take perpetual water on them oaks such as pin and red oak can't, swamp burr oak can stand more water but ducks don't feed on them as much. Years back a couple tornadoes came through and destroyed a lot of the timber in pool 8 and pool 2. Pool 3 is still pretty good and unit A is waste. Unit A is open field that used to have blinds but have been taken out. No crops are successfully planted in unit A, mainly due to **** poor effort by educated people who have no farming background. Years ago when you used to hunt there the administration who ran DC were locals, who had an outdoorsman and agricultural background. No food to hold'em, them you can't shoot'em. House with an empty fridge is not a home.

QakQak73, DEADEYE and metalworx like this.