Duck Creek

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by wilhelmina slim, Dec 24, 2017.

1. metalworx

metalworx Refuge Member

That's the best quote I've heard in years!!! Sadly, so very true. We have the same problems on Rend Lake with nothing planted on the first come, first serve side, whereas, we have lots of flooded corn on the draw side. Politics is the name of the game.......

2. wilhelmina slim

wilhelmina slim Senior Refuge Member

Sunklands I knew Don Brannon I fished and hunted with him a few times.

3. wilhelmina slim

I live a few miles from Otter Slough and there is no way I would hunt there now. I have not hunted OS in 15 years, I would not put up with all the stuff you have to do just to kill a duck there. I live to close to AR and spend most everyday day of duck season there unless Black river floods then I hunt there.

4. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

He dated my grandmother for 35 years. He loved dipping for crappie in Mingo and walking logs for flatheads. He was like a grandpa to me, all my life.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  5. Sunklands

I gave up on hunting that joint about 15 years ago as well. To many folks and I'm kind of a loner. I used to hunt coon island as well and it's got thick too. Sounds like you like as much privacy as I do. Don't blame you a bit, Slim. I was in them Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, but went this morning and didn't shoot but 2. Think a lot of them birds went down the black and st. Francis to Arkansas.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Last time I was at OS there had to be 200 plus people there waiting to draw for the poor line, sounded like WW III at sunrise.

7. wilhelmina slim

I started hunting Coon Island early 1960's and it was a very good place to hunt lots of ducks. MDC bought the land and made their improvements to the place so I moved on. I put boat in at the boat ramp there and run river to a few holes I have found over the years. But the river has to flood and that is not going to happen this year.

8. Sunklands

Got a friend who's dad farms that area and they have a pit in a field right beside Panhandlers. Area only floods when they're trying to plant.

9. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

Duck Creek used to be the 'go to' place years ago. But as Sunklands stated as been in decline for decades.
    Sad really cuz I've had some great hunts there over the years.

10. wilhelmina slim

Sunklands north or south side of road into panhandlers park.