Duck Crops are about home!!!!

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by hannibal, Aug 7, 2017.

1. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

DSC04766.JPG DSC04793.JPG DSC04887.JPG

knees and stevena198301 like this.
  2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Nice. When are you taking your water off to plant corn? I ask because the good stand of barnyard grass you have indicates you had good moisture on your place (between corn sections) for quite some time.

3. hannibal

We generally don't take off until late March/early April or after Spring Snows have left NW Missouri. Corn planted May 15 this year. Had a couple of pretty good rains early on that sparked the growth early on after ground had been disked. Entire pool was disked to trigger that seed bank in areaa not planted in corn

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, here in NC most corn is in ground by May. I had mine off around April but didn't disk in between corn. Panic grass dominates those open places but my shallow V ditches hold moisture where the barnyard grass does very well. The challenge is to keep the place moist enough for the BYG to germinate and still be able to plant and keep the corn happy. I think I'll broadcast seed this week and lightly disk next spring. Just need to get it started.

5. hannibal

Yeah, we don't typically have much problem with moisture which often times makes it very challenging to have a successful corn crop in the bottoms but this year we have been blessed with timely rains and pretty good weather although we could use a good rain right now. Our borrow ditches also produce good millet/smartweed stands as they are typically a little wetter. The in between corn spots have some good millet this year (barnyard grass I think you refer to it as) but not as good as I have seen it when it is really wet. Really hard to get the best of both (Millet/Corn). We try for as good of corn as we can get and take what mother nature provides in the way of moist soil. We do try to disk to get it kicked off but beyond that weather seems to dictate for us.

Good luck this Fall JFG!

6. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Hannabil. Good info provided. It is a challenge to get the right m-s established but as you mentioned, corn is first priority. A little diffferent here in that coastal NC and SC don't get the mallards we once did so we look for food that appeals more to herbaceous feeding ducks. The corn is critical however, as it provides cover and obviously food for some other birds, teal certainly come to mind.