Duck/Goose Calling Competition

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by tbduck, Jan 27, 2005.

1. tbduck

tbduck Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I have a question for you guys down in Anchor. Are there any calling comps down there? Once in a while I have seen an AK State Calling Comp online by Sportsman’s Warehouse. The last list that included it said it was in CO. How funny would that be, have an ak state contest and have it down there.

The next question is, if there is not one would people be interested in competing in one if we started it up? I have wanted to get into it for more practice in the winter and thought it would be fun.

Thanks.

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

There was one at the Sportsman Show a couple of years ago that was sponsored by DU and was sanctioned, if I remember correctly. I think there was going to be one last July but it was cancelled. Someone that is active in the local DU may know more. I am sure we could get enough guys together to put on a contest down this way.

3. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

If its in Oct. count me in!
    Bones :p

4. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

We better make sure it is not in October, bones will call all the ravens in!!
    Bones you must be coming up a little later this year, When you get the dates let me know so we can finally hunt together! I will take one for the team and take a day off of work if you get a day mid-week. Try and stay longer as it looks like they will also keep Silver Salmon fishing open through October this year!
    If we do a mid-week hunt we should get Dave and Bob out there as well to keep the birds moving!

5. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Well, if Bob has another Shooting day like he did last year - we can put him on one side of the flats and have plenty of birds flying to us on the other side! :p :l :l
    If I get to come earlier like I did the first year - I will certainly plan on staying a little longer. Would really love to catch some salmon.Besides - I can never get enough of that Fruity beer at the moose's tooth! :yes
    Now getting back to this Calling contest - my money is on the old crazy guy from Fairbanks who just can rip that goose call! If he can teach a lower 48'r to properly say "Tanana river" - he must have learned to blow a routine by now!!!!! :nutz
    Bones

6. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

Who?

7. R.A.Coleman

R.A.Coleman Senior Refuge Member

They don't Call Him BONES for nothing....

Hey Bones who the Hell is this No Dak?

Yea I'm getting better, Andy will even let me use the call around geese now. But letting Ringers from Mass. into a AK competition, I don't know.

The Vacation Sched is out and it looks like I'm gonna be available for the first 2 weeks of Sept, and Sept 26 - to Oct 15. We put a new blind in with 3 shooting holes. The blind took 150 in the first 2 weeks... Used the Widgeon down at some other local lakes with the diver rig I made... Sweet.

Hum, Eccentric maybe, Old is relative, crazzy about ducks, yea well OK. :sp

8. PorkChop

Just wondering if I knew who you was as I spent 9.5 years at Eielson. I was on the NP and FBKS DU committees. Honestly never met anybody that could call geese worth a dam there with the exception of Derrick Wilkerson and Dave Allen.

9. patrickwellis

patrickwellis Senior Refuge Member

hows the duck hunting in minot?

I hear it can be pretty good.

10. PorkChop

ND is better than I ever could have dreamed. I am more of a goose man but having tornados of mallards and pintails coming in a field spread can make the biggest motor mouth (me) simply speechless. I don't usually hunt around Minot that often. I like to hop from town to town to change up the scenery a bit. I don't think I will ever leave this place!

Are you at Elmendorf or Ft Rich?