Duck/Goose Calling Competition

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by tbduck, Jan 27, 2005.

1. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

I am actually about 2 hours north of Bismark. However east of Bis seems to be a bit flatter and a lot wetter. Lots of great duck hunting there but there are more crowds there as well.

2. tbduck

tbduck Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If it is possible I would say east of Bismarck is even flatter :h

And you miss a good portion of pot hole country not going east of Bismark. Spent 3 months there a few years ago, none of it during duck season :(

When I moved here it was a choice of Grandforks and Fairbanks. I am happy where I am :tu

3. PorkChop

I have not been to GF yet but from what I hear its super wet out there. Of course you got Lakota which seems to be pothole USA and Devils Lake.

After 9.5 years of FBKS duck/goose hunting Minot was a welcome change! :tu

It was killing me reading about all the spring snow goose hunting, pheasants, duck tornados and other things. Got here Mar 15th and was chasing snows that weekend. I will admit I do miss running the rivers in my jet boat. That was always an adventure.

4. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

From what I have heard their isn't enough diver duck hunting in North Dakota to keep me happy!
    We have to work alittle harder for our birds up here i imagine.

-northern wings

5. PorkChop

Yep most of the diver hunting is on Devils Lake from what I hear. I have always been more of a goose man myself. I did see a few divers this fall.

The biggest problem there IMO was hunting pressure. It was concentrated. You would have lakes that never saw a duck hunter due to access and then others that saw a jump shooter every day. I shot you a PM.

6. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

Patrick,

I hunt mostly near the Palmer Hay Flats. The first few days of the season every year, the ducks move pretty well.

I intend to go to Fairbanks somewhere along the way to try and get some lesser Cans, but so far I have not been able to combine the time with the opportunity during the season.