Duck & Goose GUMBO

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by donk, Mar 4, 2009.

1. donk

donk Senior Refuge Member

DONK?S DUCK GUMBO

? cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
    ? cup flour
    2 med celery stalks chopped.
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 green bell pepper chopped.
    1 onion chopped.
    2 cans (14 ? ounces each) chicken broth
    1 can (14 ? ounces ) stewed tomatoes.
    1 pound boneless duck or goose breast cut into ? inch strips.
    ? pound sausage cut ? slices (I like smoked sausage)
    6 ounces okra cut ? inch thick ( or use the frozen it?s already cut)
    1 cup fresh parsley chopped.
    1 tablespoon minced thyme.
    1 tablespoon sage minced.
    ? teaspoon salt.
    ? teaspoon black pepper.
    1 pound fresh med shrimp.
    1cup white rice. cook as directed on label in a pan by it's self. (DO NOT COOK IN THE GUMBO)

1. in 6 qt sauce pan heat 1/3 cup oil over med ?low heat until hot.
    Gradually stir in flour until blended and cook 10 minutes or until mixture is dark brown, keep stirring.
    2. meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet 12 inch, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over med heat until hot.
    Add green peppers, onions, celery and garlic and cook until vegetable are tender (stirring).

3. when flour mixture is ready gradually stir in broth until blended and smooth. Add stewed tomatoes,
    DUCK , sausage, okra,herbs,salt.black pepper,cooked vegetables,and 4 cups water; heat to boil over high heat.
    Reduce heat to low ; simmer uncovered , 45 minutes . skim off fat and discard.
    4. add shrimp and cook until shrimp turns opaque throughout.
    5. serve over rice or enjoy by it?s self.
    Prep time 30 min.
    Cook time 1hr 10min.
    6 main-dish servings.

2. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

Sounds good. Never thought of adding shrimp to a duck gumbo. I'd say I'd try it next time, but I used up the last of my birds with my last batch.:(

3. Spoonbilla

Spoonbilla Banned

that aint gumbo lol..must be a yankee version:joker

4. donk

HEY,HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY.:l

5. donk

A must try.

6. cajunduck man

cajunduck man Senior Refuge Member

Oh yea! Too much for a true prairie Cajun gumbo. I'm sure it is good but it's just too much. The Prairie Cajuns never mixed seafood with fowl. Now on the other side of the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge and New Orleans could have been different. Our gumbo was simple: roux, onions, and either meat or seafood...but never mixed. Why only onions? Because until the early 50's most rural homes in the prairie regions on La. had no indoor plumbing or electricity. Gumbo was a winter food, tomatoes, bell peppers and celery were not available in the winter months. Onions were available and used. Meats were old hens, roosters, guiena, or duck and geese. Seafood gumbo was shrimp, crabs, and oysters. Okra was sometimes added to both. As I said earlier, I'm sure it is good and it looks like they took a lot of time to make sure of that...but it is not a Cajun gumbo.

7. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Reminded me of an old Depression story my Grandma' Bessie used to tell me about being down to the last bird, the rooster.

My Grandpop and dad considered him a pet, because he used to follow them around all of the time.

When my grandma asked them to kill him, they refused. So, she wrung his neck and cooked him.

My grandpop couldn't eat him, my dad cried, and Grandma' had an extra helping...

3ds