Duck gumbo

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by pumpgunner, Aug 2, 2013.

1. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Looking for a good recipe for gumbo. Been playing around on the Internet.

A friend of mine throws a party every year where everyone has to being a dish with pork in it. "Pork fest" last year I did bacon wrapped dove breasts which were a big hit with the all non hunting crowd.

So I'm thinking small bowls of duck gumbo. The sausage will be the pork part.

Thanks

2. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Do search for "gumbo" and there will be a post by alamosa from 2005 which got a response from coho with a link to "Bennie's gumbo".

3. donk

donk Senior Refuge Member

Gumbo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DONK?S DUCK GUMBO

? cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
    ? cup flour
    2 med celery stalks chopped.
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 green bell pepper chopped.
    1 onion chopped.
    2 cans (14 ? ounces each) chicken broth
    1 can (14 ? ounces ) stewed tomatoes.
    1 pound boneless duck or goose breast cut into ? inch strips.
    ? pound sausage cut ? slices (I like smoked sausage)
    6 ounces okra cut ? inch thick ( or use the frozen it?s already cut)
    1 cup fresh parsley chopped.
    1 tablespoon minced thyme.
    1 tablespoon sage minced.
    ? teaspoon salt.
    ? teaspoon black pepper.
    1 pound fresh med shrimp.
    1cup white rice. cook as directed on label in a pan by it's self. (DO NOT COOK IN THE GUMBO)

1. in 6 qt sauce pan heat 1/3 cup oil over med ?low heat until hot.
    Gradually stir in flour until blended and cook 10 minutes or until mixture is dark brown, keep stirring.
    2. meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet 12 inch, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over med heat until hot.
    Add green peppers, onions, celery and garlic and cook until vegetable are tender (stirring).

3. when flour mixture is ready gradually stir in broth until blended and smooth. Add stewed tomatoes,
    DUCK , sausage, okra,herbs,salt.black pepper,cooked vegetables,and 4 cups water; heat to boil over high heat.
    Reduce heat to low ; simmer uncovered , 45 minutes . skim off fat and discard.
    4. add shrimp and cook until shrimp turns opaque throughout.
    5. serve over rice or enjoy by it?s self.
    Prep time 30 min.
    Cook time 1hr 10min.
    6 main-dish servings.

4. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

5. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Just my comments...

I love tomatoes but don't put tomatoes in my gumbo. But, the beauty of Cajun is that you use what you have on hand. I put carrots in my Budin!

And, it takes me 45min to cook dark mahogany roux (1c flour to 3/4c lard).

I remove roux from the heat and stir in the fresh/ not cooked trinity (celery, onion, pepper) to stop if from cooking/burning.

Don't add the okra until the last 5-7 minutes... you don't want to overcook and make it slimy.

And, I finally made a decent roux by getting a decent pan... Lodge castiron dutch oven. What a difference.

Good luck,

3ds

6. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

Great points here.

7. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

8. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
  9. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

10. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Is as personal or moreso than chili or barbecue...

With ducks, a dark roux is better....the darker you can get it without burning the more rich it will be. Mahogany is a good color...it's what I shoot for, and the 45 minute mark is spot on. And the roux will be the heart and soul of the gumbo.

I agree with cast iron...much better than nonstick, and throw the "trinity" into the roux rather than cooking separately. This also makes the roux about a shade darker/"redder" than dumping cooked veggies in...

If you want a good recipe from which to build, go on to Amazon and find a book called, literally, The Little Gumbo Book. Aside from gumbo recipes (duck, chicken, "green" gumbo, seafood, etc.), it has tips on roux...traditional, baked, etc.

I started using black, white and red (cayenne) pepper...different timing on the heat/spice, and it really makes it right.

I typically use olive oil now (Extra Light, not Extra Virgin), but if I have bacon grease, it makes for an even better flavor. But, it will smoke at a much lower temp.

Oh...use wooden utensils...melted a plastic one before....stuff gets hot, hot.

Shrimp goes in about 15 minutes, oysters somewhere in there, and okra at about 10 minutes, if you're using any of those.

Best thing you can do for a gumbo...cook it one day, eat it the next. The flavors get a chance to meld, and a good gumbo will be even better.

I'll see if I can dig out my recipe at the house and post it.