Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Duck heads

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by erbed o, Mar 28, 2003.

1. erbed o

erbed o Elite Refuge Member

How many of you use the real scull/bill from a duck and how many of you buy pre-made or mold your own?? Why do you prefer your method? Mabey a breif explanation of your technique...

2. scw8998

scw8998 Senior Refuge Member

I like using a repro head.The main reason is that I dont like sewing up the incision on the side of the head and cleaning their skull out.To me its easier using the repro heads.

3. ben schroo

ben schroo Elite Refuge Member

i second that. with artificial heads you get no shrinkage. to me they are faster and all around easier.

4. PJB3

PJB3 Elite Refuge Member

I've always used the real thing and just received my first one in the mail. A couple questions for you guys

How can you not make an incision to get the skull out?

I have zap-a-gap glue, how does it work with the preservative, I don't think it will stick?

Do the eyes fit right in the socket or do you have to modify it?

5. scw8998

scw8998 Senior Refuge Member

Just make the incision right at the edge of the feathers,next to the bill.Usually the eyes will fit without altering the head.

6. muthagoose

muthagoose Elite Refuge Member

I cast all my own heads ..I have even gone as far as making openmouth for most with alginate ..Once I get them where I like then then I make the RTV mold with a PVC tube mother.. I Also favor removeing the feet and injecting them with epoxie.. Then have both head and feet all done and painted so the bird is done and no chance for paint mess or have'n to put a bib on the bird,,..
    Hey PJ you can do the lower mandible crush and slide the skin over..Humm I think its mandible????.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Elite Refuge Member

PJB3

Make your incision all around the bill where the feathers meet the bill and start skinning the head out from there all the way back.

Sometimes it gets a little tricky around the eyes but just work with it.

After painting the bill be sure to scratch off all the overspray up against the bill where the skin's going to glue up to.

Yes the super glue will stick to the skin and to the head even after preserving just make sure you brush off all loose powder at that point.

Usually the eyes fit alright but I usually take a drill and enlarge the eye socket a little and then set the eyes with critter clay....All birds are a little different in size and this way I can do some attitude adjustments to the eyes after glueing the skin up.

The eye set in any mount is what makes it "come alive" !!

Good luck and have fun !!

8. stuffinducks

stuffinducks Elite Refuge Member

Boy, thats a loaded question.

1st - It depends if its competition or not. Competition I will cast most of the time and once in a while I will use a reproduction.

2nd - Comericial work I will use reproduction always! It saves me time and effort. I can paint the head, set the eyes and get the back of the head ready to accept the neck. This can be done in about a hr.

3rd - I don't like to use the real head, its just not my cup of tea.

Later SD

9. BRETT McCUTCHEON

BRETT McCUTCHEON Elite Refuge Member

I'm still not sold on the artificial heads, because no one has ever told me how long crazy glue lasts. I have been doing some testing with them, i will be letting everyone know my findings by December. Does'nt matter either way, I've been doing them for so long with the real heads, rebuilding not having any problems. I will use the artificial heads if they are requested, but they will pay extra for those, as i have not included them in the price.;)

10. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

I use repro heads normally on waterfowl,upland birds usually the real deal. I have molded/cast my own wooduck heads and they're not too bad ( I'm no Frank Newmyer but they look very good)repros are about the same cost and take less time than the time I'd put in to clean out/rebuild the real waterfowl heads.Thats just me