Duck Hunting Alaska-Minto area Please Help

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by bswanson, Jun 19, 2003.

1. bswanson

bswanson Senior Refuge Member

I will be in alaska in the begining of september of a little over 2 weeks. I have a few days to kill before I fly out for moose, so I would like to hit some ducks or fish for salmon or both. I will be flying into Fairbanks, but I will drive anywhere. Any advise you guys could gice would be great.

2. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

I've hunted Minto a couple of times but its not my normal stomping grounds. As far as I know, you can't get there without a boat or a plane. The road that I followed goes to the Chatanika river, which is the beginning of a 2 hour (if I remember right) boat ride to get into the flats. I am pretty sure you can get into some duck hunting right in fairbanks/northpole. Check out areas around the Chena flood projects. On the salmon scene, I wouldn't have a clue for that area. In south central AK, the silvers are still around but most runs will be just past their peak or already on the downhill side. I'll talk to my buddy who lives in Northpole to see if he knows anything. Can't give you real good info as I live in the banana belt and generally stay on ground that I know best.

3. bswanson

bswanson Senior Refuge Member

I appreciate your reply. I am going to hunt a few days and try a few different places.