Duck Hunting Help??

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Goose Hunter Jr., Oct 4, 2001.

1. Goose Hunter Jr.

Goose Hunter Jr. Elite Refuge Member

If you do not know I am fairly new to waterfowl hunting(this will be my 3rd year), I have a few places to hunt goose, but nowhere for duck. Where would be a good place for me to go where I jump shoot or just sit there and hope they would fly by for some pass shooting. I do not have any decoys yet. I do not want to buy any until I can find some more of a permanemt place to go and how to call them in. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. jack hamman

jack hamman Guest

yOU HAVE A NUMBER OF PLACES TO GO LIKE BRUSH STATE WILDLIFE AREAS, (SOUTH PARK, LIKE ANTERO RES, SPINNEY RES.AND THE STATE WILDLIFE AREA ALONG THE SOUTH PLATE RIVER.) I DON`T KNOW WERE IN CO YOU LIVE YOU HAVE BONNEY RES AND THE AREA AT HAIL ON THE OTHER SIDE ON THE DAM. BEST THING TO DO IS LOOK AT YOUR FISHING REG. BOOK AND IT TELLS YOU ABOUT ALL RECREATIONS AT THE DIFFERENT RES.

jack 1 there coming in!!! ;)

3. EMan

EMan Senior Refuge Member

BlackLabHunter,

If you haven't visited to CDOW web site, here's a link to the State Wildlife Area Section. It includes maps and directions.

http://www.wildlife.state.co.us/swa/index.asp

By the way you can get 1 Dozen Flambeau Mallard Dekes for under $40 on Ebay. You gotta start some where.

Good luck
    Eric

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: EMan ]

4. EMan

EMan Senior Refuge Member

Some Information.

State Wildlife Area Maps and Information
    Title: Brush Prairie Ponds
    County: Morgan
    Region: Northeast
    Location: Located appx. 2 miles S of Brush. From I-76, take Brush exit 90A, go S to Hwy 34. Take Hwy 34 W to Clayton Street. Travel S on Clayton Street to the Check Station, then S 2.25 miles to parking area.
    Elevation: 4,271 feet
    Acreage: 1600 acres
    Hunting: Hunting is for waterfowl, pheasant, rabbit, coyote, & deer. Trapping is allowed. There are 8 hunting areas on the property. BEFORE GOING HUNTING, YOU MUST CALL HIP AT 1-800-938-5263 FOR A LICENSE VALIDATION #.
    Fishing: None
    Recreation: Opportunities include hunting, trapping, wildlife viewing & photography. Area is good for viewing shorebirds & waterfowl.
    Facilities: Duck blinds - reservations available.
    Restrictions: a)ONLY migratory bird hunting allowed from the opening of teal season (early Sept.)-Nov. 29. Migratory birds also include doves; however, the primary emphasis of property is for waterfowl. Hunters wanting to take doves should carry some #6 steel shot shells to avoid lead shot regulations/prevent lead shot from concentrating in/around ponds. Hunting dates are ONLY Sats., Suns., Weds., Columbus Day (observed), Veterans Day (observed), & Thanksgiving Day.

b)Reservations required to hunt! Reservations are for the whole day. The 1st day that can be reserved is Sept. 2 & last day is Nov. 29. For reservations, call 1-800-846-9453. NOTE: Reservations for licensed hunters only. Person holding reservation must be at property on day of hunt. Reservations not transferable.

c)Dec.1-Jan.31, property open daily to waterfowl, small game & big game hunting. During this period:
    All hunters must check in/out through Check Station at Brush Memorial Park.
    Total # vehicles allowed to check into property is 5.
    Hunting is on a 1st-come/1st-serve basis. There are no reservations.
    Hunters are not restricted to hunting areas.
    d)Feb.1-until opening of 1st waterfowl season in Sept., property open for wildlife observation ONLY.
    No firearms permitted.
    All dogs must be on leash.
    No horseback riding.
    Access restricted to designated/established roads.
    e)DURING FALL/WINTER HUNTING PERIOD, YOU MAY NOT ENTER PROPERTY UNLESS YOU ARE CHECKED IN AT CHECK STATION.

f)Only 1 vehicle per area allowed on property. 4-wheel drive recommended & at times required. Max # per hunting group is 4 people.

g)TO PRINT THE ENTIRE MAP BELOW, YOU MUST USE LANDSCAPE ORIENTATION. Change these settings under File, Print, Properties.
    Comments: Area has been leased from City of Brush since 1987 & managed primarily for waterfowl production & limited hunting.

Users of State Wildlife Areas are reminded to check current hunting, fishing & land use regulations when planning to use a SWA for any purpose. 02/14/01

Eric

5. PTipton

PTipton Guest

Where are you located? Hard to say where to go without knowing that. As far as decoys, Walmart in Westminster has Mallard decoys for $29.77. Hard to beat that price. You have to start sometime, the sooner the better.

6. Goose Hunter Jr.

Nova, I work in Denver, but live in Greeley.

7. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

shoot black lab you are closer to most of the best place for duck than most of us, the south platte river just about anywhere east of I-25 is great for ducks, Brush is just half an hour or so from you and it has brush prarie ponds, brush swa, and dodd bridge swa.
    plus you got sterling only hour and a half or so from you, go to a dow office and they have free maps to and of every swa in the eastern part of the state
    Duk

8. PTipton

PTipton Guest

Black lab,

Coloduk is right, you have a lot of areas to choose from. Banner Lakes, Atwood SWA, Atwood state trust lands, Brush SWA, Brush Praire Ponds, You missed Centennial Valley SWA lottery right by Greeley. Dodd Bridge SWA, Elliot SWA and the Union Tract, Fossil Creek Reservior, Jackson Lake SWA, North Sterling Resevior SWA, Overland Trail, Pony Express SWA, Tamarack Ranch SWA, Prewitt Resevior, Wellington SWA, Lone Tree SWA, Lon Hagler SWA, Boedecker SWA, Mitani-Tokuyasu SWA. And I probably missed some. Some of these areas are reservations so check your regs for those.

But if I were you I would spend the money on at least 1 Dozen decoys and a call something like the Haydel DR-85. Total cost of about $45.00 I don't think you'll regret it.

9. Goose Hunter Jr.

Coloduk and Nova,

Thanks for all the info. I will put it all to use. I did not know that there was that much public land around Thanks!!!