Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

duck hunting on the coast

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Ghetto Slaya, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Greno

Greno Senior Refuge Member

Last time I looked into it, they were trying to make it a National Scenic Byway. At least the giant condo fizzled out so we don't have to stare at that thing. A guy that I did a little work for used to take a 40' shrimp boat down conway creek and out choco to the river. You about can't do that in a inner tube with a cooler of cold snacks any more. And that was only 35 years ago or so.......

The demolition of the causeway would help tremendously. I have long thought of doing a sedimentation study on a few of the bays. Many have so little tidal flow now that deposition is for the most part organic in nature. There are very few places in the isolated middle bays that are effected by deposition from the estuarine system because the velocity of the depositional waters is too slow to move a large amount of sand size particles, we get the suspended silts and clays that will move in and out with the tides, but to my knowledge no one has studied in depth, the depositional sequence in these bays. Would be a fun project, I may look into it.

2. Almightymoonpie

Almightymoonpie Senior Refuge Member

Do, I hear and idea for a GRANT?????....hummm need to look into it Greno with your knowledge and my beer you wife would never mind. Just dont find the Hg source.

Chuck

3. kwak&eider

kwak&eider Senior Refuge Member

Greno there has been some study done by the folks with Mobile Bay Watch (now Mobile Bay Keeper) about the siltation in the Delta being magnified by the dam...err...Causeway. I sat in on a couple of meetings many moons ago on this very subject and the conclusion was the state wasn't behind removing the causeway so it wasn't going to happen.

I think the first fight and the most blatant dam section of the causeway would be the foot of Chocolotta. If this section was removed it would not only help Choco but the Batty's, Mudhole and Conway creek. I wonder if state officials have changed their tune over the last 5 years since the have been buying up and reclaiming property on the causeway which leaves one to wonder if there is some sort of passive emminent domain going on there?

Raised bridge spans (i.e. I-10) would keep the secondary Mobile/Baldwin corridor open for traffic but let more water flush through the Delta.

Check this video out it will give you some more insight into the changes that have taken place on the Delta in the last 70 years.

http://www.deltaawareness.com/

4. Greno

Greno Senior Refuge Member

Everyone knows the stretch of the cway between choco and the apalache river needs to go to allow sediment to drain. I am seriously going to start researching to find a true study to explain what has happened not just the causeway is blocking sediment. The sediment pushing against the causeway in this area is coming from somewhere. Is the north end of choco getting deeper and the sand and silt being displaced from there. Thats what needs to be determined. There is not enough tidal water energy coming into that strecth between the bridges and through the pass picada or sardine (I forget the name) to explain the large or perceived increase in silt or the lesser or perceived lesser depth of the water. Is it a minute tidal issue. Is the tide an inch lower than it used to be. That is the study that needs to be conducted and to my knowledge no one has done it. It will take a lot of time to do and the academia around here, for the most part, and certainly the "environmental organizations" we have won't do anything without a grant or a large donation.

I couldn't get the movie to work, but I truly love the delta and its history. I wish there was more written about it or I knew more old timers that really hunted and fished in the fields of eel grass that are now gone.

5. Almightymoonpie

In my humble opinion you can open the cway all the way back up and, it will do little to no good. The main problem is the flow in fresh water down the Ten-tom. You can look back over the last 50 years and see how the flow south has all but stopped. what we can do is push the state to plant grass and keep the 2-4D out of the bays. They can spray the rivers all they want but let the bays go back to as close as natural as they can. As it stands now the best we can hope for is removal of the invasives and a replanting of the grasses that the Fowl need.

Greno, Kwack, TJ, I am willing to lend whatever mindpower and experience I can to help. We need someone in with the Commish to help us out. I beleive that the Coastal Foundation would be willing to lend a had. Just cant say that about BayWatch. All she wants to do is sue.

Oh yea, made a run over to the Crap-so-shop today and after talking to the guys in the decoy section I was told that the biggest selling item so far is a Damn Mojo Duck. Thats all we need.

Chuck

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I know I can't wait for the kazoo-blowin', mojo-flappin' circus that will be the Causeway at the end of November! :yes

7. Almightymoonpie

I have been on the phone with both the USGS and The USCOE requesting data, ie tides and flow for the area around the Causeway.

Looks as if me and Greno have taken up the hobby if tring to find out what can be done. Anyone else want to help?

8. T Lee

T Lee Senior Refuge Member

Ill help if i can

9. Almightymoonpie

Kwack, its still in the study phase waiting on more money.

10. Ghetto Slaya

Ghetto Slaya Senior Refuge Member

Looks like I stirred up some conversation! It is interesting to learn about the history and see all the issues.