Duck Hunting Safety

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Ducksergeantorg, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

Well, I know I'm not nuts (Except PTSD).
    I hunt quite a bit by myself. I was wondering if some of you take the same gear I do venturing out alone, in the dark headed to the duck blind. I try to do all the checks I can to minimize falling over board or worse.

Let Wife know where I hunt
    Cell phone hook up to trolling battery
    Battery Charged
    Extra Batteries / Head Lamp
    Flaregun & Six Rounds
    Extra Boat Plug
    Life Jacket "On"
    Light in front of boat
    Heater / Propane / Lighter / One Burner Stove
    Water / Food
    First Aid Kit / Survival Blanket
    Rain Gear
    Dry socks / Spare Gloves
    Multi Tool
    Extra Spark Plugs if using Outboard / Gas

2. Duck_Hunter_88

Duck_Hunter_88 Refuge Member

I think this is a good idea.

The one item I don't have but probably should is a trauma bandage. I hate to think about it but a gun shot wound is a possibility in what we do and a typical first aid kit is pretty inadequate. Do you think one is useful? Or do you think a 911 call and a bunch of hats stuffed in the wound is just as good?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  3. Ducksergeantorg

Not a bad idea for sure, I got one I think I will put it in my pack. You got me wondering what people take for the retrieving dogs?

4. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

I carry some quick-clot, both for any big wounds the dog could get, and for the above-mentioned "worst case scenario."

Constructeur likes this.
  5. Ducksergeantorg

Yeah, I reckon a few dog biscuits, I got to get a dog one day..

6. fatlab

fatlab Elite Refuge Member

when I hunted from a boat I kept a compete change of clothes in a dry bag

7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^This^^^^^

I call it my "dunk bag" and it's not so much for falling overboard as for the scenario that has actually put me in the water...walking around setting decoys, trip over submerged log or rock, and face plant. In my dunk bag I keep a towel, an extra set of base layer clothes, mid-layer top, sweat pants and socks. Once you have that stuff on you can wring out your jacket, dump water our of your waders and hunt on!

I have kept MREs in the boat in the past just in case a mechanical problem caused me to have to stay in the field overnight. I also carry a propane torch (with built-in starter) and propane cylinder. Doesn't take up much room, thaws things out in icy conditions and is a dandy fire starter.

There is an excellent "foul weather boating" thread sticky'd at the top of the Boats, Blinds and Gadgets Forum. It has gone many pages over the years and contains every idea possible regarding this subject.

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

SPOT satellite distress communicator. Works anywhere. No cell coverage required. Waterproof.

9. Duck_Hunter_88

Duck_Hunter_88 Refuge Member

I have this too...just a note you don't need an expensive "whitewater" dry-bag. A garbage sack and a cheap nylon duffel bag can work great. Just stuff some clothes in the garbage sack, roll the top, purging a lot of the air, tie-off and place in the duffel. I've gone on several multi-night white-water rafting trips using this method without issue. Just watch for sharp edges that might puncture the garbage sack, from the inside....the duffel protects the outside.

The SPOT concept is great....I guess I'm cheap...I have rented SPOTs for long hikes....big money savings for something you may only need a week per year.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  10. Ducksergeantorg

That's some great ideas. Yesterday I got stopped by a Game Warden. He did a boat inspection. He asked me if I had a whistle as part of the WA. State Parks Inspection Check List, I said yes. Good thing my little first aid kit has one in it... boaters beware. Never knew they have to check you against that list.

He also asked me and my buddy is we shot any Trumpeter Swan's last week (***) are you kidding me! That Warden is on someone's trail, real idiots out there.