Duck Hunting the lower Mississippi River

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Redlabhunter, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Redlabhunter

Redlabhunter New Member

Thanks to everybody this far I have a dog and plan to use it as the part of the river I will be hunting doesn’t have to bad of current. Anybody have suggestions as to use decoy rafts or just place decoys scattered along bank? Also I would be driving to bank via atv and also hunt from bank no boat unless need for picking up ducks or decoys

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I don't hunt the river a lot, but freezing temps are one time I tend to go there, and I'm talking serious freezing. I'm nervous just dropping my boat in, and I don't relax until I'm at least halfway home in the truck.

auto5, Foxwood, bullpinnie and 2 others like this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I bet that can be lights out hunting. I'd never do it alone.

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

A couple of years ago, my son & I were hunting just off the river in some backwater when the river was flooding (record flooding during duck season) and saw a couple of 15-16' jon boats launch off the levee into the river. That was just crazy. I've never been so mad at the ducks that I would even attempt that.

auto5, freefall and CanardNoir like this.
  6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've launched off the levee many times, but not when the bottoms are flooding. Two years ago the levee was a 15-20 minute boat ride from the nearest dry ground for a lot of the season.

freefall and Fowler267 like this.
  7. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

I've torn up more than one boat trailer launching off a levy. Want some real excitement? Run your boat through a levy breach at flood stage. When I was braver and much dumber I did. Busiest I've ever been on a tiller handle. :doh Not the Ol Miss though. It was on the St Francis.

freefall likes this.
  8. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Every year we hunt pool 5 on the weekend after thanksgiving. Sometimes if its froze out we hunt pool 13 instead. Generally its the last weekend of the season when we are up on 5. Biggest issue we have is the ice flows making it almost impossible to set decoys. I guess we are so used to dealing with cold and often frozen rivers and big water, we don't get too nervous about it. Whenever we hunt the big river we pack the boat for in case we have to spend the night on an island in a blizzard. We don't hunt if it is forecast for bad weather or blow over 20mph if it is cold but I wouldn't bet my life on the forecast. I've been out on a warm day on pool 13 when a forecasted 15mph west wind switched to an unforecasted 30mph south wind blowing against the current by mid day. On the big river, wind makes me more nervous than anything.

auto5 and freefall like this.
  9. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

those pools are like KY lake.. KY lake does not compare to the lower Miss.

10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I hunt with an OL Codger that used to run the river squirrel hunting and chasing ducks.(60s and 70s) He claims that there is a lot more barge traffic these days. He claims they used to only see 2-3 towboats a day and thus the ducks would raft up on the river. They don't seem to do that anymore.

I would caution you about wading off into the river. In my experience, many places drop off pretty fast and the sand can be shifty.

I have used one pound "H" weights plus concrete weights and still had super mag decoys drift off. You can use gallon jugs filled with concrete with rebar poking out the side for "Sputnik" style anchors with 1/4 inch rope and long line clips.

CanardNoir and riverrat47 like this.