Duck Hunting the lower Mississippi River

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Redlabhunter, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

The weather always seems calmer at 0dark 30 then the winds pick up out on the river. When it runs Southwest and the wind is blowing to the North East, my boat suffers "shrinkage".....

CanardNoir, Foxwood and stevena198301 like this.
  2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Exactly right. If you hunt north of where the Ohio dumps in, you're hunting a lake that sometimes has some current. It's a kiddy pool.

3. Fowler267

I would say that it is calmer above the dams on the pools. But from St Louis or the last dam on down it has current.

4. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I've been on the Miss from up in Wisconsin to Cairo, IL, where the Ohio dumps in. The navigation dams end around St. Louis and the whole character of the river changes below there. It can easily throw around an 18 ft. commercial boat, even in calm weather. There is definitely a pucker factor in place any time I'm out on the open river...and I've not been on it below Cairo. Lots more power after the Ohio joins in.
    The advice on wading was sound. I've pulled a minnow seine across some of those sandy shores around Cairo and Thebes. More than once my partner had to pull me back to bank as I was going under with the sand rapidly shifting under foot. Even in summer, seining in shorts, it's not a good feeling.

bullpinnie likes this.
  5. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

My advice, if you've never hunted the river before, pay a good experienced guide for a hunt. Get to see the equipment and skill required. Ask a lot of questions. Be honest and tell him why you're there and you want to learn. True river rats are a dying breed and most of the ones I know are more than willing to share their experience if you're willing to work and listen. Another good source of knowledge about the river is commercial fishermen. Find one, offer to lend a hand. There's a steep learning curve on the river and it doesn't pity fools.

freefall, Foxwood and riverrat47 like this.
  6. Fowler267

I don't run a depth finder on my boat during duck season. Last year a friend came up to hunt and sonar was showing 90 ft deep just below where the Ohio meets.

7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Back in the early 90's I had permission to launch my boat from the"big levee" just north of St. Louis. the Levee was crazy steep, and there wasn't really a ramp, just a little bit of gravel. I had a jeep with a manual transmissions, and a loose clutch. The launch was directly into some fairly fast water. Pucker factor on launching was a 10 (on a scale of 1-10).

8. thebiggrfigr

thebiggrfigr Senior Refuge Member

The ole Miss is hauling arse when it rolls past my neck of the woods, Grand Tower il, and yet up in Northern Illinois they waterski on the old man.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Y'all ain't experienced pucker factor until you've ran the river below New Orleans in white out fog in a 15 ft jon. Done it, many times.. when I was in my 20's. Wouldn't do it again, risk of death very high.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Now, I've done some dumb stuff in my life... but I ain't ever, ever, getting in any part of the Mississippi River without two things: a knowledgeable guide, and a way bigger duck boat than I would ever have need in owning. The furthest up I have seen it was Cairo though. That SOB moves some water!