Duck jerky: favorite recipe, please

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, Feb 20, 2014.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Don't get carried away now! :nutz

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I suggest a square or rectangular one as opposed to the round ones. Not that they work better but they're just easier to load the trays imo.

Quedup likes this.
  3. sx3

sx3 Senior Refuge Member

I believe I got the tip from someone on another thread here, try the Smoking Gun Marinade. I have done goose and venison and it's the best stuff I have ever come across. I am done looking. The marinade with some alder and oak in the bradley and finish in the dehydrator.

It's good enough I need to vacume seal and hide in freezer or these kids of mine will have it gone.

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I have two dehydrators that work about 5 days a week. I can usually do about 20 ducks or 5-6 canada geese at a time. I have posted the marinade before, but here is the basic recipe.

3-4 pounds of bird meat, sliced as thin as you like it, or thicker if you like juicier jerky

Mix:
    2 cups Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce
    2 Tbs black pepper
    2 Tbs garlic powder
    1 Tbs red pepper or cayenne or chipolte (I've been tossing in some louisiana hot sauce as well) (I like to triple up the chile peppers as well)
    1 Tbs Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning
    1 Tbs unseasoned tenderizer
    2 Tbs liquid smoke
    2 Tbs tabasco sauce (ah make it 3 or 4)

Marinate in the above overnight in the frig. Put the strips in the
    dehydrator at 145 degrees for 6 to 8 hours, depending on how thin they are.
    Cook jerky until it is dry, but not hard.
    ps. this recipe is hot. . I prefer mesquite smoke over hickory. Using Nesco dehydrator, about 9 hours was perfect. Using the Excaliber use 145 F for about 12 hours. THicker strips work best , about 1/4-3/8 inch thick

[​IMG]

I have been smoking most of my birds this year, either as whole breasts, or thickly sliced breasts. I much prefer the smoked meat(after brining) , the hi mountain pre-mixed flavours as very good, especially manadarin teriyaki, pepperoni, and inferno (hot). Experiment and enjoy.

The above recipe was my go-to recipe for years, and is enjoyed by most.