Duck legs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by H20DAD, Nov 3, 2018.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

My daughter (4 yo) was literally yelling at me to start cooking them instead of waiting for her brother to awaken from his nap. This was what she requested for dinner on her 4th birthday in March and she told me so. She keeps asking if they are ready.

Not yet.....

1426A02F-AB46-4D49-98FC-C01B7FF10F2C.jpeg

Black belly and mottled if you are wondering.

JuvieCoot, PorkChop and GK1 like this.
  2. H20DAD

3. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Nice. Do you marinade them? How long do you grill them?

4. H20DAD

C34C7F87-4FFD-43D6-99F9-2C58A2E2A7C1.jpeg

Done.

Emaril’s essence for a little while and grilled low and slow. Medium/high heat on each side for about three minutes then another 20-25 minutes on low/medium heat flipping and shifting frequently enough to get the moisture off. I wish I would have seasoned these more as I like em a little spicy but the kids don’t and I’d rather they eat them than not.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Those look awesome! I like that your daughter wanted you to make those.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  6. Florida Cracker

Florida Cracker New Member

Blackbellies have some nice size, tasty legs.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Love it!!!:tu:tu:tu

Have you ever tried soaking them overnight or two nights is better in buttermilk?
    It doesn't change the flavor much if any, it tenderizes them so they aren't as chewy.
    I love duck legs and will damn near kill for a plater full of Speck legs.:yes

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

Big legs!!

Looks great too !!

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

10. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

11. H20DAD

I haven’t. With a 4 and 5 yo I try to keep everything simple as extra steps lead to more headaches and increased likelihood of them rejecting it. Grilled meat with a little seasoning or soy sauce is how they like things these days and I’m smart enough to not complain about that.

As to tenderness, I have found I need to cook the juices out of the legs to get them tender. Otherwise they are chewy. I compared them to ribs. I could boil them and then grill them to falling off the bone status, but I enjoy grilling them to a little ripping off the bone without much effort level of tenderness. Again one less step and we can go through around 20 legs in a meal.

My daughter was hindered the other night by her second loose tooth so she only managed 2-3 legs and then got worried the tooth might come out. Otherwise she’s good for 6-7 on a normal night. My son eats them until there are only two bones remaining.

Lip Shooter likes this.
  12. H20DAD

I haven’t. With a 4 and 5 yo I try to keep everything simple as extra steps lead to more headaches and increased likelihood of them rejecting it. Grilled meat with a little seasoning or soy sauce is how they like things these days and I’m smart enough to not complain about that.

As to tenderness, I have found I need to cook the juices out of the legs to get them tender. Otherwise they are chewy. I compared them to ribs. I could boil them and then grill them to falling off the bone status, but I enjoy grilling them to a little ripping off the bone without much effort level of tenderness. Again one less step and we can go through around 20 legs in a meal.

My daughter was hindered the other night by her second loose tooth so she only managed 2-3 legs and then got worried the tooth might come out. Otherwise she’s good for 6-7 on a normal night. My son eats them until there are only two bones remaining.

callinfowl likes this.