Duck Plot Plant Photos

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by brake man, Aug 11, 2018 at 9:33 PM.

1. brake man

brake man Senior Refuge Member

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

First pic is blunt spike rush. Some but not a whole lot of food value.
    Second pic looks like a perennial smartweed of sort but pic quality is not good.
    Fourth pic looks like sprangle top, a very good food source. Also see a sesbania plant, need to pull that soon before it goes to seed.

Not sure what the grass looking stuff is, would need to see it at a later stage but that round growing stuff (can’t remember name) typically grows on the high/dryer parts of a ditch impoundment and doesn’t have any food value as far as I know.

3. brake man

Just noticed only links showed up. Full size images.

14B06C93-1729-425B-B4A9-FFDDB4C53E99.jpeg CDB3877C-025F-473C-A74D-4BD1E8975AC7.jpeg 8FFC4858-0703-46AC-9265-7284926978AC.jpeg 4E72DF67-541D-4EFB-8BF1-B2861DF2AF19.jpeg 5E15AE21-4183-4D3D-8753-719D2B865A17.jpeg

4. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Is this all in one plot?
    About the only thing I'm seeing of any value is some sprangle top, smart weed, and a little bit of duck potato. This place is in bad need of some disturbance.

JFG likes this.
  5. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

No. 3 is paspalum. It has a distinct blue-green color. Highly invasive. Ideally spray with Habitat/Arsenal. Roundup tends to only top kill it. Repeated sprayings may eventually kill it but I don’t have time for it.

6. brake man

What is up with moving this thread to the habitat forum? Yes, I posted it here, too, but that is because MOST PEOPLE NEVER VISIT THIS FORUM? All kinds of non-duck posts on the main forum and they don’t get moved. :scratch

7. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

This thread getting moved to the habitat forum was probably for the best...

1) There's a lot more experience here than most any other place on the internet when it comes to wetland management and ID.
    2 We may not have 200 members frequenting this forum, but the 20-30 of us regulars post frequently enough to have good conversation.
    3) The replies you get here are going to be genuine, well-formed, and highly regarded. I almost never visit my home-state's forums because the posts are typically the polar opposite.

That being said, I hope you get the answers you're looking for!

8. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Prob no disrespect but easy help here
    You got your answers
    It needs attention
    Very little value as duck plot
    And you have some very invasive non desirables

By the time next spring gets here you will be an expert on moist soil if you choose to hang here and learn

But me
    I would bush hog all that crap
    Disc
    Plant jap millet so I would have food this yr
    Have to be done this week though

This winter while hunting
    Get my plan together for managing moist soil and start w my drawdown next spring

9. brake man

Many thanks for the replies. Apologies for my rant. A bit frustrated.

I appreciate the advice and counsel. No disrespect taken. I know virtually nothing about moist soil management and look forward to learning from those on here who know what they’re taking about on the subject.

Low section of a field that periodically cannot be planted in a wet spring because of water. Usually have some undesirable weeds but this year there are more of them, more variety, and they are thicker. Cannot access with tractor or ATV with implements as tucked into back of a cotton field.

Ground is dry and broken up. Sprayed roundup over a good bit of it and planted Japanese millet. Need some rain soon. Will see what comes up and how it turns out.

Thanks again for the help.

10. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

I have MANY areas I can’t put any equipment on until July or August. I will spray some with 2,4-d amine to release the grasses, some disc and plant to millet and some burn them with chemicals looking to the following year.