Duck Potatoes and Western Manna Grass?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Fowler267, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Those two plants seem to fit a few areas that I can plant.

Does anyone have any experience with their duck pulling powers? Do they attract much or are they an after thought type of food?

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Only have experience with duck potato. Rarely seen dense stands of it, but when I did wood ducks, mallards and black ducks targeted the seeds.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Don't have any experience with duck potatoe but do with western manna grass. Have a shallow wetland that had been taken over by reed canary grass and sprayed the first year we had it. Next year smartweed and barnyard millet it did great with a little manna grass. Good feed the first year and then the manna grass started to take over. Manna grass is a light seed producer and have had good waterfowl use for a short period of time and then tappers off dramatically. A friend sprays 1/3 of the manna grass annually so he can keep it under control. I have found that American slough grass compliments and competes well with the manna grass. Here is a picture of the manna grass/slough grass combo. The sloughgrass produces 200,000 seeds per pound so if you get a good crop it is like smartweed and the ducks have a hard time feeding it out. Hope that helps. Bob
    manna grass.jpg

Constructeur likes this.
  4. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Forgot but here is a picture of the mannagrass seed. Smaller seeds and not a heavy producer but seeds none the less. mannagrass 2.jpg

Constructeur and Fowler267 like this.
  5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Bob!!! Good info!