Duck Sausage?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by patoloco22, Dec 3, 2005.

1. patoloco22

patoloco22 Senior Refuge Member

Is there such a thing and if so, how does it taste? I would be interested in trying to make some if someone had the recipe. Thanks in advance.

2. 1GRN_HD

1GRN_HD Elite Refuge Member

Are you talking about sausage you cook or a dried summer sausage?

We always get some summer sausage made at a local butcher shop and it's excellent. Better then deer sausage to my taste buds. They make it just like deer sausage but they just use duck meat instead. A 50/50 mix with pork. :tu

3. rockjawjohnny

rockjawjohnny Senior Refuge Member

Have you ever tried duck sausage?

Well then, duck down here and try yourself some.:dv

4. SkipH2ohFowl

SkipH2ohFowl Refuge Member

Duck sausage can be very good!

I typically make either 5 or 10lb batches. I use about 50/50 ground duck and/or goose and ground pork butt or pork shoulder. Then I just use a german sausage mix kit, and stuff and smoke as usual.

All my hunting buddies love it!

5. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Great Duck sausage at Marx Bro's Cafe Anc AK--I made some and it wasa ok-- needed more seasoning-- easy to make--next batch of Boudin I make will be dux/ goose--why is this post here(recipes)??

6. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Elite Refuge Member

I make duck / goose sausage every year. Make it in many varities also, from brautwust, sun dried tomato, garlic, cajun, hawaii sweet. The possibilities are endless, I prefer the garlic though.

This year I am making sausage out of 100#'s of goose breasts. Don't worry guys, I still have plenty of others that are whole in the vacuum bags.

7. ducks101

ducks101 Elite Refuge Member

good info guys.............thanks

8. Spanky03

Spanky03 Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I started the year before last making goose sausage, it is unbelievable and easy to make. 20% pork fat, seasoning packs that you can get at the meat market or Bass Pro, natural casings, a scale, the grinder with the stuffing tube, a partner and some beer and it can be done in a few hours in the garage. We started doing our own deer 3 years ago becuase the prices are ridiculous in Illinois and I have saved so much money and it is unbelieveably easy, a little time consuming, but well worth it.

9. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I agree with Spanky.....it's so easy a caveman could do it......get your supplies at eldonsausage.com they have a much better selection of mixes and if you need advice they are very helpful.

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

I make fowlbrats all the time. They are great. Grind 50/50 duck an pork. Use a bratwurst mix and your in. I generally use Eldons spices but Im sure any good mix will work.