Duck Truck?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by NEAduck, Dec 7, 2018.

1. NEAduck

NEAduck Refuge Member

Thinking of searching for/investing in an older model 4x4 to use as a waterfowl/outdoor truck in order to save wear and tear on my 15' GMC. Thinking along the lines of getting a 90's model single cab GMC/Chevy. Anyone have any of these that they use as a hunting truck? Different model suggestions? Worth the purchase or are all older vehicles a money pit.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The only time people sell “good” old 4x4s is when peepaw dies, etc. It happens though. Used car lots for old 4x4s are a gamble. Choose wisely. Take a mechanically inclined person if you are not.

3. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

The vintage truck you're talking about are simple reliable vehicles. Problem around here(MN) Is most of them are rusted apart. Even if the body is somewhat ok fuel/brake lines and things such as that become an issue .

If you can find a clean one I think it would be great for what you want .

4. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

I guess depends on what kind of miles you are talking about putting on it. If just used locally and not driving half a state away, you can get one on the cheap. If going to make long trips in it, I'd be a lot more picky. Go to the govdeals.com site. You can find them cheap there, but might have to do some work to them. Again, all depends on where you are going to go.

5. the_dude

the_dude Elite Refuge Member

If you want a beater, don't let me talk you out of it. However, if you want a beater because you are convinced it will save you money in the long run, you are most likely mistaken.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I disagree. You can find plenty of cheap "beaters" that will last a very long time with minimal maintenance. It takes an azzload of repairs to add up to the cost of a new truck(that's just as likely to still need repairs).

All that said, I recommend an old Toyota. Pickup, Tacoma, Landcruiser, etc.

7. the_dude

the_dude Elite Refuge Member

My comment was meant in the case of the OP that is talking about having 2 vehicles and using the beater to save wear and tear on his current truck. My point is running 2 vehicles in place of one will likely never get you ahead financially.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Just depends on the person and the situation imo, and there are advantages beyond just financial to having a second rig for hunting and such. Beater may get better mileage, you can leave your gear in it 24/7, you've got a backup vehicle for when one goes down, etc.
    Now if you're one to go buying vehicles every few years the saving money is nowhere on your radar anyway so it's certainly a lost cause. But done right it can work well for minimal if any extra expense.

9. NEAduck

NEAduck Refuge Member

Thanks for all the information. To answer some of your questions/comments. It's not going to be driven far, I've always wanting a older square box chevy body style single cab. I drive 20 mins to the landing daily. Go down a dirt road or two. Am tired of decoys/waders hitting the side of my truck scratching it at times and the interior getting muddy. In reality, I am not tough on trucks at all, but kinda have the itch for another rig as a hobby to play around with.

stevena198301 likes this.