Duck with Bourbon cream

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Coho, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Filet eack side of the breasts and soak in several changes of salted water. Add a squeeze of lemon if you wish.

Don?t worry about getting a little goofy (or goofier) from eating this delicious duck. The alcohol burns off during the cooking process. This recipe is also delicious with venison, goose, pork, beef and pheasant.
    CAUTION: When you add bourbon to the pan, it may ignite! Slowly pour the bourbon into the pan without sticking your big head over the pan. Wait a few minutes for the alcohol to burn off.

4 servings

6 ? 8 duck breast halves, skin intact or removed
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup red onion, diced
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
    1/4 cup bourbon
    1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Liberally season duck breasts with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add breasts, skin side down and cook until seared to medium brown, about 3 minutes. Flip breasts over and cook other side for 2 minutes more. Remove breasts and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Add garlic, onion and brown sugar to the pan. Stir to blend and cook while stirring for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in beef broth and reduce liquid by one-half. Add bourbon very carefully (see CAUTION above) and cook for 2 minutes more. Add cream and cook until sauce is thickened. Return duck breasts to the pan to warm, but do not cook past medium-rare. Remove breasts, slice diagonally into 1/4-inch slices and spoon sauce over.

:tu :tu The Kentucky folks should like this one..

2. nosuzies

nosuzies Senior Refuge Member

I've done a variety on this one, and it's really good!!

I have a Big Green Egg, and go out of my way to use it. I *******ize these " pan-sear" recipes by first grilling my breast on the BGE @ 550*-600* for just 2 minutes per side (mallard breasts) and then adding them to the reduction in the pan, per recipe right at the end (or, just pour reduction over sliced meat at the table). Medium-rare breasts every time, with a fancy drizzle over the top---this is a great recipe to introduce those who are wary of game to our great secret!!!

Every time we enjoy this meal, I think about our poor, uninformed brothers-in-arms who give their birds away, or worse. What a waste!!

These great recipes just complete the circle of life. For those of us who love our quarry, it's not complete until they are given all the respect they deserve at the dinner table.

3. blackdoggreenhead

blackdoggreenhead Senior Refuge Member

I would suggest removing the pan from the heat source while adding the bourbon to reduce to chance of ignition. Sounds like a great recipe Coho I'll have to give it a try.