Duckmen coffeeweed

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by peewee, Apr 26, 2002.

1. peewee

peewee Elite Refuge Member

Have you ever collected coffeweed seed (sesbania) and if so how did you do it and what kind of success did you have.

Thanks

2. MSDuckmen

MSDuckmen Moderator

PeeWee that is the only way to get it that I know of. We have a Lake that is covered up on one end with this weed and in October you can take you a coffee can and a pair of clippers and cut the pods off of the top and fill the can in less than an hour.

Lay the pods out when you get home in a dry place so they can continue to dry. Once they are dry you can take the pods between your fingers and role the the seeds out.

leave them in a area out side where they will stay cold in the winter, this is reguired for good germination and all you have to do in the spring is line the mut flats with the seed and you will find it growing in a month. First year it will produce a fair crop, remember this will spread like wild fire and you want to make sure you plant in a area that it will not hurt for it to grow.

I planted this in two areas last year on a refuge here in our state, Didn't let on that I was planting anything just spread it as I was walking. Had a great stand. We just didn't have the birds here this year but I still have high hopes for next year.